This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Motified LoBoy 184 - Anyone have some ideas?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
usmcskeeter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56031

Motified LoBoy 184 - Anyone have some ideas?

Postby usmcskeeter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 am

So I've been wanting a LoBoy for some time now, especially a 184 and finally found one. Cosmetically it's decent, mechanically it needs some work to the transmission, clutch, and engine, not to mention the rearend probably could use some sealing. It also is a pretty basic 184 - no creeper, no diverter valve, no 3 point, etc. So, seeing how I'd basically be splitting and getting deep into this tractor to get it into top shape, I started to think about adding some of those options to get a tricked-out 184. Then that made me think, "what other modifications could I do to make this really neat?" I know some guys out there will disagree with me and consider what I'm about to suggest as sacrilegious, but just hear me out…
First off, the 184 I have needs work, I pretty much got it for parts price and saved it a trip to the junk yard dismantler. Secondly, I love these LoBoys and anything I do to it would be reversible to be able to get the tractor back into original condition if ever desired.
With that said, what have you or others done outside of OEM mods? One thing I was thinking about was putting the drive system from an old Toro 6700D fairway mower. It would be a 4WD hydrostatic system powered by a 42hp Peugeot diesel. Obviously I’d have to build a rear frame for the rear drive wheels, which I’d probably just use from the existing frame of the 6700D and the front axle should be a pretty simple swap as the steering axle (which is mounted on the rear of the 6700D) is a hydraulic motor driven power axle. It also would incorporate power steering and have two auxiliary pumps for a loader, backhoe, etc. Mounting the engine would also be a slight challenge and I haven’t done any measurements to see if it would even fit, but I think it would. Also, with the factory tires sizes on the 6700D, I’m not sure that I could get the right ratio needed to keep the classic LoBoy profile and still maintain the correct drive ratio. That’s just one thought….probably a lot of work and I’m not sure the 184 existing radiator would have enough cooling capacity for the Peugeot as they typically run hotter than a gasser.
This is just one idea I had. Another would be to put in a 3 little Yanmar or Kubota in there, but I don’t think I would gain much from that conversion. Thoughts???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Motified LoBoy 184 - Anyone have some ideas?

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 am

If you are going to use that many Toro parts, wouldn't it be easier to just get the Toro, turn the seat around and paint it yellow and white?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 am

Install the 184's sheet metal on the Toro. This will save disassembling the 184 and replacing each major part with a Toro part, basically reassembling the Toro.

Since you love the 184, why not repair it and keep it original, or as working tractor?
I have an excuse. CRS.

usmcskeeter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56031

Postby usmcskeeter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 am

I can understand and appreciate what you are all saying so far. Unfortunately the Toro won't accept the sheet metal without a lot of modification, but I get your point. Again, this is just a brainstorming session. The Toro idea was just one possibly, which I haven't even analyzed to know if it's possible. Anyone else have any ideas or things they think would be cool if the LoBoys had/could do...

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

Check out Gary Dotson's: Cubota for some ideas on what is possible.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I say go for it.

I was looking at a 4x4 tractor front axle hub to hub the other day. If we come off the rear axle with a chain drive to two 90 degree gear boxes with a shaft drive to the front 4x4 axle sounds possible on a numbered cub or even a fcub? Anything is possible when we apply ourselves. Fire up my Hobart, fire up the torch, drag out some scrap steel and dreams can become reality. :idea: :{_}: :arrow: :idea: :{_}: :worthy:
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”