This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering gear box

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GreaseMnky85
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49242

Steering gear box

Postby GreaseMnky85 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:44 am

Has anyone out any rtv where the shift tube goes into the gear box housing? Mine was full of water and the tube expanded and cracked from water freezing in there. I just want to prevent this from happening again.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering gear box

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

It's a Ross type steering sector, full of grease. Moisture, condensation, is coming down the tube leading to the steering wheel.

The only thing you can do is to keep the tractor inside or under cover when not in use. There is suppose to be a seal under the steering wheel between the shaft and tube. Frequently this seal is missing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

GreaseMnky85
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49242

Postby GreaseMnky85 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:48 am

Its missing. I have to order a few parts might as well get that seal too.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 pm

When you have the steering wheel off measure the inside of the tube so a sealed bearing with a snap ring can be installed rather than the bushing it has now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”