This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear main seal (how to r&r)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Rear main seal (how to r&r)

Postby Andrew Z » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 pm

After mowing today I noticed a drop of oil off the rear main my 154. I know how to install the seal to the retainer and the issues that accompany it. My question is do I need to yank the engine to get to it or can I just slide the engine foward to service?

Thanks

Andrew
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear main seal (how to r&r)

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu May 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Andrew,

I've replaced a rear main seal on a 154, so my experience is limited. As memory serves me, by the time you have unhooked everything and slid the engine forward you have done 90+% of the work necessary to pull the engine. Room to work will be very limited with the engine slid forward. Pull the engine, I think you will be glad you did.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Rear main seal (how to r&r)

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 am

If you have an early 154, then you will need to move the engine forward to get the driveshaft out.
If you have a late 154, Any 185, or a 184 then there is no need to move the engine at all. Just remove the Driveshaft, Clutch, and Flywheel from below the tractor.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”