This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Only runs at low RPM

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dmelling
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45347

Only runs at low RPM

Postby dmelling » Fri May 09, 2014 8:43 am

Just took over a ball field and inherited their 154. It ran great the first two mowings and now it will only start at low idle. When I attempt to increase the idle it will die. If I spray starting fluid into the air breather it will rev up to the higher RPM when I move idle up but die as soon as I stop the starting fluid.

I have checked the fuel coming from the tank and all is fine. Am I assuming correct that this is a carb issue? If so, what does everything should be my next step?

Thanks in advance!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Only runs at low RPM

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri May 09, 2014 1:10 pm

You may have either an IH or a Zenith carb on it. Take out the main jet and clean it. The IH carb also has a filter screen in the inlet that can get clogged up. Here's a link to TM Tractor that shows the IH carb, the Zenith is quite a bit different: http://www.tm-tractor.com/gfl/carburetor_001.htm

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

dmelling
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45347

Postby dmelling » Sat May 10, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks...just got here and it is a Zenith...

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun May 11, 2014 9:20 am

Fuel flow problem.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Mon May 12, 2014 7:58 am

Aside from carburetor ills, I suggest you check the spark advance centripetal weights under the floor of the distributor (the plate the points are positioned on). One of the coil springs which hold the two weights inward (toward the rotor shaft) came loose on my tractor and really messed-up the high speed ignition performance. After servicing the distributor fully and tuning the spark timing, my machine was fine.
Ironlegs John

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu May 29, 2014 9:38 am

I had a fuel flow problem there was a pebble in my gas valve above the screen in the tank. I blew into the gas hose after I removed the hose when i found no gas flowing. I heard a pop in the gas tank. I got it running in the field after it died. It was dying more and more but it would restart. But the last time it didn't restart. But I later flushed the tank. I guess it was a tractor kidney stone.
On any c60 engine lube your governor shaft it can rust up.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”