This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

lower reverse gear removal

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
574747r
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46350

lower reverse gear removal

Postby 574747r » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 pm

I am helping my Dad replace the reverse gear in his cub, we have the tractor split at the rear half about 4", have one of the shifter shafts pushed forward enough to get at the gear however we can't get it out. Not enough space between the housing and the drive shaft. My Dad is afraid to slide the drive shaft forward more. Can someone tell me where we should proceed from here.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: lower reverse gear removal

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm

The main shaft will have to come out
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: lower reverse gear removal

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 pm

As Boss said, the main (input) shaft will need to come out.
I'm thinking that you are trying to get to the reverse idler gear, if so, it is a very tight fit to pull it out without messing with the bottom (counter) shaft. What you will have to do is after the 2/3rd shifter fork is removed and that shift rail is pushed as far back into the differential housing of the case as it'll go, and the reverse idler gear shaft is removed (bolt removed and shaft pushed forward), you'll have to gently rotate the bottom (counter) shaft with a prybar/large screwdriver to force the idler gear out the top. Installation will be the reverse. You will face interference with the case, but I have removed them before like this before without issue.

Use extreme caution as transmission cases are different thicknesses. Too much pressure rotating the bottom shaft to force the idler out and you may crack the casing. If there is too much interference, you may have to pull the bottom (counter) shaft as well.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”