This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lo-Boy "Swiss Army Hitch" Forks, Boom Pole, and More.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01057

Re: Lo-Boy "Swiss Army Hitch" Forks, Boom Pole, and More.

Postby LFEngineering » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am

Got to test out the hitch yesterday. I dropped three 40' hemlocks, used the forks to move around my gear pallet as well as carting around some 400-400 lb trunk sections. Finished off the day by using a choker chain and the log tongs to haul all the brush to my neighbors burn pile. Unfortunately I was too busy playing, I mean working to get any good action shots.
Attachments
P9100634.JPG
P9100634.JPG (242.9 KiB) Viewed 2637 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LFEngineering » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Like always customer projects and house work took priority over my projects, but I finally got some time this weekend to fab up the boom pole attachment for the multipurpose hitch. All in all it came out as I hoped. Made from the same tubing as the hitch (2 x 2 x 3/16) I can hang off the without any deflection so it should be good for anything they hydraulics can pick up.
Attachments
Boom Pole 1.JPG
Boom Pole 1.JPG (133.15 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Boom Pole 2.JPG
Boom Pole 2.JPG (153.85 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Andy:

That is awesome :big smile: You do have a fertile imagination and the fab skills to "make it right !", Wow :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:15 am

They don't come much sweeeeeeeter than that!!!!!!

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:27 am

It sure looks good!
LFEngineering wrote:I can hang off the without any deflection so it should be good for anything they hydraulics can pick up.

I believe the F Cub hydraulics are designed to lift about 500 lbs. at the rear rock shaft, not sure about a numbered Cub. With that much extension I would be surprised if it will lift much over 200 lbs. I would like to know what the hydraulics can lift on the end of your boom pole. My buddy had a 184 with a 3 point and it can't lift a 400 lb. log splitter that extends 6' past the rear of the tractor. I really like it, great job and the universal applications are well thought out.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Smokeycub wrote:It sure looks good!
LFEngineering wrote:I can hang off the without any deflection so it should be good for anything they hydraulics can pick up.

I believe the F Cub hydraulics are designed to lift about 500 lbs. at the rear rock shaft, not sure about a numbered Cub. With that much extension I would be surprised if it will lift much over 200 lbs. I would like to know what the hydraulics can lift on the end of your boom pole. My buddy had a 184 with a 3 point and it can't lift a 400 lb. log splitter that extends 6' past the rear of the tractor. I really like it, great job and the universal applications are well thought out.

Ray,

I think the manual indicates that the Touch Control unit will or should pick up 300 lbs at the rock shaft. Yes, as you move out further from the pivot point you decease the amount of lift available. When I made my Cheap & Dirty lift for my '53 Cub I did some testing to determine how much it would lift at different points on the lift beam. Below is a link to that discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69866&hilit=+cheap+dirty

One thing I've found is that even if the Touch Control won't pick up a particular load, if up manually pick up on the beam while the hydraulics are attempting to raise the load and are successful at getting it off the ground, the hydraulics will hold that load once you've got it in the air. Even though the Cub hydraulics have limitations, the boom lift is still a big help around the homestead.

Few are as nicely done as LFEngineering's unit.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Ricky - Thanks for the link, somehow I missed that the first time around.
ricky racer wrote:Even though the Cub hydraulics have limitations, the boom lift is still a big help around the homestead.

Without a doubt, it's way better than picking up and carrying 100 plus lbs. around by hand.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley

LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LFEngineering » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 am

:thanx: Thanks for the praises. Little more about myself; I’m in my late 20’s and I’ve been building stuff for as long as I can remember. My father bought me a welder for x-mas when I was a sophomore in high-school and I bought my first piece of equipment (a bench lathe) a few years after that. Since then I’ve spent years acquiring all the tools, equipment and knowledge I can. Although I went to college for Mechanical Engineering Tech / CNC & CAD the world of manual machining fascinates me, probably because they don’t teach it anymore. I guess you’re more likely to get a job as a CNC Tech than a manual machinist so the schools go that route. Anyway, I work as a tool designer / process engineer to pay the bills, but my real passion is my home shop. Working nights & weekends I opened my shop in 2010 under the business model that “I love to tinker and build and for years never had the tools to finish the job, there has be more people out there who just need something welded, machined or fixed and don’t want to go to a real full size shop.” I was right, and have been the go-to source for gearheads & tinkers in my area since. Anyway enough about me, back to the tractor talk. :D

Hydraulic system: I knew the hydros were going to be a limiting factor when I first tried out my pallet carry-all. I had just cut down a large hemlock with a 20-25” diameter trunk. I rolled on a chunk about 18-20” long and grabbed the hydraulic lever, nothing. I was able to sneak the round up towards the pivot and got her to lift up, but the bar had been set. I attempted to somewhat test the system last Friday, my friend (180 lbs) and myself (230 lbs) sat on the pallet while my wife hit the lever, nothing. However if I sit on the edge of the pallet (48” from the lift arm pivot) the hydros have no problem picking me up. I’m going to guesstimate weight limit at 300-350 lbs on a pallet, 250 lbs at the fork tips, 200 on the boo, and 750 lbs at the hitches.

One good thing I did notice is that the hydros can hold more than they can lift. If I leave the carry-all in the lifted position and fill it with 400-450 lbs of firewood and the tractor has no problem moving it around the yard. This is important because I’m toying with the idea of a winch mounted on the boom pole so I can use that for lifting instead of the hydros.

As I lift more stuff with known weights I will collect some more data on the actual lifting capacities for the forks, boom and hitch.

Next project is tapping into the high-pressure hydraulic system, adding a dual action piston circuit and a hydraulic top link to give me on-demand tilt for the hitch.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 am

Nice story about your shop. I know that just by word of mouth I have people knocking on my door regularly for various metal work/fabricating jobs. I wish you much luck and success. It has been said that if you truly love what you do to earn a living that you never have to work a day of your life.
LFEngineering wrote:Next project is tapping into the high-pressure hydraulic system, adding a dual action piston circuit and a hydraulic top link to give me on-demand tilt for the hitch.
There are several good links on here about how to do that. Ricky and Rudi have done it to name a couple who have posted about it.
LFEngineering wrote:I’m going to guesstimate weight limit at 300-350 lbs on a pallet, 250 lbs at the fork tips, 200 on the boo, and 750 lbs at the hitches.

Interestingly I found a post on Yesterdays Tractor and someone (a reliable source) mentioned an F Cub with good working hydraulics can lift about 600lbs. at the rear rockshaft. I think that would be testing the limits of the hydraulics as well as the tractor, as long as the relief valve is working correctly it shouldn't hurt anything to try. I know when testing the touch control the manuals say to use 300 lbs. on the back but that's not to say that's the limit of the system. I can say for sure that my F Cub has no trouble picking up my Woods 59 with the front rockshaft, it's about 350 lbs. with the guide wheels and is only really lifting about 75% of that. ...and it really struggles to lift a set of discs loaded with about 150 lbs. of ballast.
Ray
Smokeycub

LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LFEngineering » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:19 am

Like I said I will test it as I find things to pick up of known weights. Originally I suspected the relief valve, but after hooking up a pressure gauge I'm getting the 1600 as I should. Still lifting anything will be helpful.

turbo84gn
Zip Code: 49079

Postby turbo84gn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm

I know it's been a few years, but I really like your attachment here. Any chance you can share dimensions or the cad file you made? Looking to make this for my 860.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:26 pm

He hasn't been on the Forum since 2015, so I doubt you'll get any info from him.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

turbo84gn
Zip Code: 49079

Postby turbo84gn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks. Was worth a try.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:14 am

Did a nice job on that!
The full frame is plus too. I have a flatbed on the back of my ‘46 A that I strapped an engine hoist too. I’ve moved shop tools around with it like my radial arm saw which is clumsy to move by hand even with two people. There’s limits though. I tried doing the tow truck thing with my other A. Nope, too heavy, the front came up.
Without the frame you have on the numbered Cub I wouldn’t risk counterweighting it.
Yours is the perfect yard tug now.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 am

Please note, the original post is over 5 years old. While it is likely to get responses, we would prefer you start a new topic.

Forum rule 4h:
Necro's are threads/posts that are more than one year since the last posted message. Resurrecting old topics is discouraged and members should create a new topic, rather than resurrect an old one.
Posting to topic older than one year will likely get your post and the topic locked from further discussion. The simple solution is create a new topic.

Thanks
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”