New here..maybe steering issue

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Hello all. I just picked up what i think is a 1970 cub lobby 154.....I can not read the plate and have not tried to clean it yet. But on to the real question. As I drive it around I wonder how hard it should be to turn. I need to use both hands and really put effort into it. I can not imagine driving this to do the grass on my land. The guy I bought it from did not say anything about problems and the as I look around the tractor all the grease fittings look very well greased. :help:

Tom

Re: New here..maybe steering issue

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. An no Tom, they should not be that hard to steer. Check into the steering gear box, where the steering shaft goes in is a filler plug, a level plug and drain plug. It may need some gear oil in it, or may be some other problem, but drain it and see what you got.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 am

Check to make sure the tires a fully inflated. It makes a big difference, and they only hold about 15 pounds of air, so they will look full at 5psi, but will make it really hard to steer.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

Check steering knuckles to see if bound up on bushings. Jack up front end. Unbolt tie rod ends and move tires back and forth.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm

I steer mine and also the 185's with a spinner knob and one hand,---so you have either badly worn inner steering box parts or spindles are stuck from lack of lube!---grease fittings can look good on the outside, BUT not let grease in to the shafts behind.--check to make sure the grease is actually going in and not just building up pressure in the gun---(VERY MESSY JOB but needs to be done) thanks; sonny

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks guys. I will get on it this weekend and let you know what I find.