This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with 154 generator

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Help with 154 generator

Postby tmays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm

On the pulley end of my 154 generator there is a sealed bearing. Anyone know of a source for one? I checked with Hamilton Bob's and no luck.
I have the generator torn down to the point of removing the bearing. I hoped it would just come off by hand. No such luck. How do I go about pulling it without separating the bearing? I guess it wouldn't really matter if it does separate since it's going bad :x Thanks
Thomas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help with 154 generator

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Pulley removed, armature removed. Bearing is held in by two screws and a retainer plate. May have to press the sealed bearing out.

Big socket on inside where the bearing will fall out, socket just large enough to cover the bearing race. Gentle tap.

Once bearing is out, take to any auto parts store. Bearing can be matched up by either the marked number or measurement. Other alternative is to take bearing to starter/generator rebuilder shop.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Eugene are you saying the armature comes off the center shaft? If so, how?
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Sorry. No, the armature includes the center shaft.

I disassemble the entire starter/generator on a rebuild. You simply need to pull the front cover off the S/G to access the sealed bearing. However, if you replace the front bearing, you need to replace the rear bushing, clean up the commutator and replace the brushes.

Your local auto parts store will have access to the brushes, bearing and bushing.

Edit: I normally rebuild a generator or starter. However, the starter went out on a WD Allis I own. I wouldn't have time to mess with it for a couple of weeks. Took it to a repair shop specializing in starters, and generators. Cost me $36- and change for a rebuild. I could have done it myself for about 1/3 that. Just suggesting that some times it's cheaper or more convenient to have the professionals do the task.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”