Mower deck ID and questions

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 am

Gentlemen -

I have a couple questions about the mower deck on my LoBoy;

first of all, here's our victim:

From what I can tell this is an International deck (as opposed to a Woods) but I don't remember the number/naming convention.

Now for the questions:

1) The area to the rear is open but there are some small nail/rivets which look like something goes there. Should this area be closed off?

2) There are home made rubber flaps on either end in place of a discharge chute. Should I have a discharge? On which side?

Are any or all of these pieces commerically available, or is it something I'll need to fab up (if required)?

Thanks in advance -

K

Re: Mower deck ID and questions

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

That looks like the HI deck I have the woods so cant help you but just wanted to say nice looking tractor.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

If its IH mower, it will have 3 different belts, 1 from pto to center mower, (main drive), from that pulley a left blade belt and another to the right blade --- mine is model 3160 --- If Woods it has only 1 long snaky/twisty belt!---model would be either LB-59 or just 59
get rid of all the flaps around the deck!!!---let the grass fly out where ever it wants! --(does better mowing job and takes lots less power! thanks; sonny

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks, Dan. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Thanks, Sonny. Definitely an IH mower with three belts. Model 3160 sounds right to me.

Regarding the closeouts and chute: It hadn't occured to me to leave it as is; I'll give that a try.

"Do Nothing" is certainly my favorite technical solution! :wink:

K

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am

Looks like the 3160 that I have on my 184 LoBoy.

Mine has a steel cover plate on the left side (EBay item) and is open on the right. Search for IH 3160 and you can find the parts blowup. I presume that it is a safety feature, if you mt/dismt from the left.

There is also a steel rock guard that bolts to the front edge. Looks like yours is rubber(?)

The back is open on mine, and that's a good thing as this model discharges poorly out the side if 1) the grass is a little damp, 2) the grass is too high 3) all of the above.

If #3 occurs, the clog will stall the mower blades! Another PITA! Apparently improvements were made on the 3160A model and the Woods. Would probably cut better with the left safety guard off! :roll: