This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pops out of gear

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Pops out of gear

Postby seahaul » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a LoBoy 154 that pops out of reverse gear. If I hold the shifter down, it doesn't do it. None of the other gears have this problem.
I took the transmission cover off and the shifter forks are not bent or worn excessively, but I do see some wear on the reverse gear.
What's the most likely cause of the problem?
Thanks,
Charlie

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Pops out of gear

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 am

Check the first and reverse fork for looseness or fronmt to rear wiggle. Only a loose fork can pop it out of reverse or first as it gets worse. They tighten up the fork and tac weld the gaps. Most do it while the tranny is together by packing the tranny with old leathers. It can be done with success very carefully.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pops out of gear

Postby seahaul » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

I found the problem. The shifter forks were not loose nor were they worn excessively as stated in my first post. The reverse gear was quite worn and the first/reverse slider gear had some wear also, so I replaced those two gears. It now stays in gear just as it should. Not a particularly hard job to fix it. The biggest part was to remove the 3-pt hitch so I could get to the differential cover and remove it so I could get access to push out the shifter rods.
I learned on an earlier job that it's best not to push the shifter rods all the way out of the casing and avoid having the ball and spring fly off into outer space!
Charlie

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”