This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO!!!!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

PTO!!!!

Postby SONNY » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Well,----The pto on this 185 went out today and after 5 hrs. hard labor it looks like the rear ball bearing went out and locked up!----next after looking at the clutch plates someone OVER greased the shaft and got grease on most of the friction disks and I gotta clean them up!---The clutch has been weird acting ever since I got it but I just used vice-grips on the rod to hold the clutch in and was getting along fine!---got the bearing off finally and will have to see if I can find a "will fit" one from town!
Have not a clue what # to suggest as a starting point to put in for replacement!----I welcome suggestions on this thing!!! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO!!!!

Postby Landreo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Remove the grease but the clutch is actually a wet or dry clutch and the grease should not make much of a difference. If the bad bearing is one of the cam bearings then I got one from a bearing sales place on ebay for around $15. It is a standard bearing, nothing exotic. If it is a shaft bearing then they also are standard and any supplier should be able to get one.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Its not a hard unit to work on. If the clutch plates are ok and the flat springs are good then you just need two new ball bearings. These is a dimention to go by when the thickness of the clutch pack is enganged and when its released. I did moly up the engagement balls. Hamiltonbobscubs on ebay or here has the bearings you need.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Local IH dealer had the bearing and lock collar on hand,---NOW to fix a couple major problems in the control linkage!---the pin bracket that 1 arm of the pto rides on is almost worn clear thru and the hole in the arm is a bit too big,--that would explain why the clutch would go in or out kinda weird at times!---NOW I gotta butter that up and figure out how to size the arm hole back down! ( I am thinking about a just fit washer welded on the back side to get by!) ---NOT sure if I can do any welding on the pin itself or not---just nothing left of it!
I gotta mow and the other 185 is killing my back!---that danged 3- speed just dont hack it!!!---beats the P outta ya!---WAY too fast!thanks; sonny

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:07 pm

You can braze it up and redrill it. The brass acts as kind of a bushing. Accuracy isn't "that" big of a deal on that IIRC, as long as the pin fits tight in the hole you drill.

Or . . . you can braze it up, drill it out bigger and put a bronze bushing in it. Use a bushing with a lip and put the lip between the 2 arms and use that as a small spacer/thrust bushing. Just a thought.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”