New Cub Owner-Couple questions

IH CUB LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your LoBoy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

New Cub Owner-Couple questions

Postby Smith » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Ive had a Cub 154 now for a couple months. Previous owner had just replaced the clutch and drive belts and it came with a snow plow and a freshly installed Zenith (i think) carb. Hydraulics are highly responsive with no priming. I ended up paying $1400. It runs really well and will fire up immediately with no choke as long as it hasn't sat for longer than 2 weeks. It Just had a bad PTO clutch that my brother and I thought would get me through the summer. Unfortunately it lasted about one mowing. Had a Craftsman Mower (42") that I was borrowing from my dad and was just going to wait until winter to tune up the 154 and replace the PTO. Well finally the sears mower belt snapped and it was either get the PTO or replace the sears belt. Got the PTO clutch from Hamilton Bobs and wish I would have done it much sooner. I believe the mower on my 154 is a woods and man does it do so much better cutting my 3 acres than the Craftsman. Anyway a few questions.

Which way does the Woods mower discharge? The mower didn't come with a chute or block off plate installed. Its open on both ends of the mower. Im going to get me some steal plate and make a block off plate but don't know which end to put the plate and which to put the chute on. When mowing last night it seemed to throw the grass equally out both sides.

Next what spark plugs should I use and can i get them at Advanced Auto etc? The previous owner put new wires on the thing but not new plugs. The 154 will mostly be a high use machine and primarily will be mowing and possibly plowing the lane in the winter time.

I thought I read somewhere that the Hydraulics shares the fluid with the rear axle. I thought this was odd that the rear axle didn't use gear oil but whatever...... Anyway if this is true do i just pull the two ports on either side of the axle to change the hydro fluid? They don't seem to be very low to allow an efficient draining of the system.

Anyway thats it for now. I know there was a few more things but i forget them now.

Thanks
Smith

Zip Code: 00000

Re: New Cub Owner-Couple questions

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Smith, Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Cub lovers here. I'm not real familiar with the numbered LoBoys, but here is a link to the manuals available on the Forum. I'm sure others will be along to answer your questions. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Number ... index.html

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein
Bob McCarty
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 80501
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The Woods deck should generally discharge to the right, if the front of the deck is a bit lower than the rear as it should be. The blades rotate clockwise if viewed from the top, so the leading edge travels to the right, and should the clippings. If the deck if setup flat, it may shoot out both sides as the trailing edge travels to the left, as will the clippings as the grass gets cut again.
The hydraulics shares fluid with the transmission, not the finals. They have their own separate oil supply. The fluid gets sucked from the bottom of the transmission case, where the normal FCub's have their drain, through the filter to the pump. Depending on the year of the tractor, it either returns on the left side of the transmission case, where the FCub's full plug is, or it returns through the gear shift plate. To drain, crack the line under the tractor coming from the bottom of the transmission. I'd recommend changing out the filter while you are at it.
For the plugs, I use Champion D-21's. Anything equivalent will be ok.
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 am

Be sure to use Hy Tran [ I use it ] or some good grade of hydraulic oil that meets Hy Tran specs in the transmission
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:25 pm

G'day and congrats :applause: on acquiring your 154. As Bob mentioned there is only a little bit on the 154 on the server but there is a service manual of sorts, and owners manual and a parts manual. The Woods section will have the manual for your mower if it is indeed a Woods. I think it should be a right hand side discharge but you have to check the manuals to be sure.

Hydraulic Fluid - as Boss said, Hy-Tran is the best for the tranny. That said however, you can use any hydraulic fluid provided it meets or exceeds MSO 1209.

Probably the Champion D-21 will be the best plug to use especially for one that is used a lot and in all seasons. That is what I use in my F-Cubs. D-16's are a little cool to my mind - Cub can get cantankerous with the D-16's.

Hopefully this helps. Oh yeah -- Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Smith » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Is there any image showing me where to drain and fill this Hydraulic fluid? Im new to these cubs so Im not sure at all
Smith

Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 am

There is a diagram in the Owner's Manual. A pointer to an online copy was posted earlier in this thread.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 75048
Circle of Safety Award

Return to LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185