This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 power steering with an FEL its a must

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

154 power steering with an FEL its a must

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm

After borrowing my neighbors cadet 147 with the FEL i noticed when scooping the uneven ground and small rocks actually steer the front wheels. It can rip the steering wheel right out of our hands too. So power steering is a must. This isn't your everyday easy build. Its a total redesign from the front to the rear.

I'm working on my 154 fel/backhoe project a little at a time. I'm on the power steering right now. I purchased the double ended steering cylinder that i will mount on the front axle beam after i box it with a 3/16'' steel plate on both sides. Or just go with a new front axle, i'm not sure yet. I will fab new front spindles using ball bearing thrust rollers so the vertical friction when turning will be much less. I'm using a small control valve from a wheel horse garden tractor to connect my steering box to it so the steering cylinder will get direction and pressure from it. I'm thinking of using the lever system to connect the steering box to the control valve. This way the steering wheel will have more turns just like normal steering. More turning and less movement on the control valve. Its having a ratio between the control valve piston and the lever thats hinged off the frame and attached to the steering box. I could use a cam follower with a cam on the steering box but i think the lever system would be much better. Attaching it i can use the shoulder bolts with greasable stainless ball socket tie rod ends(lever system). My tie rods from the steering cylinder to the front spindles will be short and made like boomer rangs so the sharp turns can still be made. The orginal hyd pump or a GM steering pump will be added for the hydraulic power. I was thinking of installing a double pulley on the front crankshaft.

The http://www.surpluscenter.com and http://www.discounthydraulichose.com has had most of what i need hydraulic wise so far. Discount hydraulic hose has the 37 degree parker tubing fittings for the 1/2'' tubing i'm going to use. I'm using http://www.mcmaster.com for my 1/2'' tubing and my industrial special fasteners.

I'm going to use either the 650-10 or 750-10 3 rib front tires there wider for more floatation, and on the rear it maybe 11.2x24 or 12,4x24 ag's for more ground clearance for the lower subframe.

Right now the front subframe and FEL arms are fabricated, the power steering is thought out along with the lower rear subframe. Right now i need to get it on the correct tires so i can see the ground height.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Re: 154 power steering with an FEL its a must

Postby Phazer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Check out an older Corvette or, (beleive it or not), an I/O boat with power steering. They use a little control valve that when the steering wheel puts pressure on the valve, it kicks in the power assist. I'll try to dig up some pictures later.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Here's a link to a pic of what I'm refering to. When the "D" moves, it pushes on a piston inside the valve that shoots pressure to the cylinder. When you quit moving the steering wheel, pressure ceases on the valve and power assist stops until you move the wheel again. In theory, you can move the stud with your hand and it would turn the wheels. Like I said, many boats used this setup.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mid-america-motorworks-675/chevrolet-corvette-parts-and-accessories-catalog-310/page-84-fullsize.html

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:11 am

The older ford fairlane 390 GT used the same setup and i worked on those in the past the parts were double what my setup is costing me so far. I have a heavy duty double ended steering cylinder with a 10'' stroke. The shaft goes straight thru the cylinder on both ends so it will connect to both ends using 3/4-16" threaded ball socket tie rod ends. Then i need links to connect to the spindles. I'm also using 3/8'' hydraulic hoses but i can add a flow control valve if i need it too. I'm leaning towards the saginaw power steering pump driven from the double pulley on the crankshaft. I have a brand new one still in the box with the pulley/tank already on it left over from my 1 ton truck days. I'm thinking an "L" shaped bracket will mount the little control valve inside the subframe were it will be protected from any thing hitting it. The steering cylinder will mount directly on the front axle beam and be connected with hoses to the control valve.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Back in my young and single days I had a 78 L82 vette and understand that style of power sterring. Is that what you are doing? Putting a standard control valve that would move with the sterring linkage? I am not able to picture exactly what you are trying to do.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm not, but BigBill is in the planning stages I think. I was just throwing it out there to see if it stuck on the wall. My thoughts were, it's compact, no gearbox is needed, and broken boats with that system are easy to find.

On these old jewels, any concept is worth exploring . . .

dirtbuggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62033

Postby dirtbuggy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:55 am

On my 154, I put a cylinder off of an old early chey truck a power steering pump off of a car steering orbiter off of a 715 combine and farely easy fix works great/ If I could post pics I`d do it

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 am

I have most of the parts now. I have the double ended hydraulic cylinder that will mount on the axle beam. I have an extra crankshaft pulley were my thoughts are to cut it down and drill/tap to bolt it to the pulley thats on the 154 to make a double vee belt pulley to drive a power steering pump since i have a new one sitting here already. Of i can use the orginal hyd pump thats on the engine. But i was thinking of using the engine hydraulic pump for the FEL. I picked up a wheel horse control valve (small) from sleeze bay. That i'll tie in to the steering box using a lever advantage system to slow the movement of the steering rod down so it will feel like real power steering and the steering wheel will move the rod slow that connects to the steering box.
Attachments
easy power steering.png

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”