This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Measuring a Piston

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Measuring a Piston

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:22 pm

I need help on how to measure a piston, and to see if it is oversize. Also, are all oversize pistons marked on the c-60 engine.
Thanks
Hamiltonbob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Measuring a Piston

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:48 pm

All oversized pistons that I have seen were marked , you can check them with a caliper.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:14 am

The easiest thing to do to determine piston size is to measure the cylinder bore.

Kinda a rough rule. Measure between the 1st and 2nd ring grooves at 90 degrees from the wrist pin. The piston diameter will be about .002 smaller than the bore diameter on a new piston. As the piston wears this measurement increases. This isn't going to help much since you have to start with bore diameter and condition before proceding to piston measurements. To make things worse all pistons are not manufactured alike.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 am

You can use a micrometer and measure the piston 90 degrees from the wrist pin hole on the solid skirt. This should give you an standard or over size measurement. If you measure the bore it has to be below the ridge at the top of the bore. But this area can also taper from wear because the piston does rock when it changes direction. A dial bore gage does better about halfway down in the bore.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”