This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 cub c-60 engine

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

154 cub c-60 engine

Postby JGtools » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:05 am

I have engine down to bare block, I have cam and valves still inside block, I never have removed valves before, looks like I would need to use a spring compressor tool, do they usually come out easily? ,

The engine was a very good running engine, I decided to pull the engine out, because rear seal was leaking pretty good, and had a blow by issue , and was starting to use oil, it would smoke pretty good out oil cap when engine was warm, or working.i also noticed that the head gasket was leaking in front of engine block area. I took a good look at the connecting rod bearings, and they looked pretty good, I looked at main crank bearings, and they look good . I could post some pictures.

I think the pistons look to be originals, but not sure. If you could help me out on where to measure, and what all to measure, that would help me out. Im not sure what all needs to be done , or what kind of engine kit to buy, I know the valves look very carbon covered, but all move up and down, when I hand cranked engine. The engine had no obvious rattles or noises. thanks for the tips I will need in what direction I should go with engine fix. Thank you,Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 cub c-60 engine

Postby Cecil » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:28 am

With a compression tool the valves come out pretty easy. Just compress the spring and there is a 2 part clip that are held in place by the spring. Getting them out is easier than getting them (the clips) back in. It should be easier for you as the engine is out and you can lay it on its side. I would pull the valves and check the seats for pitting, then ream the seats and reinstall the valves and grind them back in. There are many posts with pics on doing this. I have done it many times so if you need help just PM me.

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Re: 154 cub c-60 engine

Postby JGtools » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks Cecil. I will probably be needing help. Its fun learning new stuff, sure helps,that I can ask questions along the way. Have a good day,Jim

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”