This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ideas to beef up steering

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Ideas to beef up steering

Postby outdoors4evr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Yesterday I put the sn*wthrower on the 184. While doing so I noticed that I had bent the steering rod between the gearbox and the front of the tractor. Not having the proper parts on hand, I straightened out the rod and found a 20" long piece of 1/2" black pipe to use as a stiffener around the rod.
I would like to hear what others have done to strengthen this portion of the LoBoy.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Ideas to beef up steering

Postby BigBill » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:09 pm

I haven't got that far yet but on the heavy used 4x4 trucks off road we would weld a piece of angle to the steering rods so no flex would occur. The only other option is like you did with pipe or go to a larger diameter rod with larger ball socket tie rod ends. I'm also worried about the strength of the orginal tie rods if i add power steering this could be a problem. I may need to fabricate a new steering link too. I'm kind of on the fence about using power steering. I have another thought about using a mechanical advantage setup too. (lever system with the orginal steering box) Once my FEL is done the rest of the tractor is next.

Building this tractor is just like building a race car you need to upgrade everything so it all works together in the end thats really the fun of doing it when it finally works without breaking. I plan on doing things only once.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Down heah in Oklahoma we just wait till after dinner. The snow is all gone by then. Have fun..... I guess.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Garland Terry wrote:Down heah in Oklahoma we just wait till after dinner. The snow is all gone by then. Have fun..... I guess.

I'm dreading the snow comming soon already. My son bought me one of those tents with the sides its 10' x 10' so i can work on the tractors thru the winter using my propane heater. I guess its better than nothing. My garage is stuffed with tractor parts now.

I'm hoping to have all my snow fighting equipment ready soon. (my winter toys)

1. int154 with IH snowplow, creeper, rear wheel weights, one set on the front and tire chains
2. Fcub with fcub snowplow, two sets of rear wheel weights, one set on the front and tire chains ( i know it will be a hoot to plow snow with)
3. Cub cadet 70 with the snowplow, plus two sets of rear wheel weights and heavy fcub tire chains
4. Cub cadet 108 w/creeper and snowblower, one set of rear wheel weights & tire chains
5. Jeep 4x4 tractor with 2 diff lockers, 2 sets of tire chains, plow and 1,500lbs of added weight. This is back up when all else fails to push the heavy wet snow and the blizzards.

I have a gut feeling i'm going to like the snowblower too. I may look for a snowblower and 3pt tiller for my int154 after the holidays. If i can't find one thats affordable i will have to fabricate one(snowblower).
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:48 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:Yesterday I put the sn*wthrower on the 184. While doing so I noticed that I had bent the steering rod between the gearbox and the front of the tractor. Not having the proper parts on hand, I straightened out the rod and found a 20" long piece of 1/2" black pipe to use as a stiffener around the rod.
I would like to hear what others have done to strengthen this portion of the LoBoy.

I wonder what has anyone done with the int154 front spindles to make them stronger?

I guess to use power steering everything will need to be redesigned stronger or replaced so it will work properly. I wonder if usin ganother tire design would help too? I been thinking of using the 750-10 3 rib front tires and maybe 10.2's or 11.2 AG's on the rear to level it out.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 am

A narrower tire would certainly help the wheel turning force required, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of the turf-savers. You might end up with a lot of lawn grooves.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm

BigBill wrote:
outdoors4evr wrote:Yesterday I put the sn*wthrower on the 184. While doing so I noticed that I had bent the steering rod between the gearbox and the front of the tractor. Not having the proper parts on hand, I straightened out the rod and found a 20" long piece of 1/2" black pipe to use as a stiffener around the rod.

I wonder what has anyone done with the int154 front spindles to make them stronger?

I guess to use power steering everything will need to be redesigned stronger or replaced so it will work properly. I wonder if usin ganother tire design would help too? I been thinking of using the 750-10 3 rib front tires and maybe 10.2's or 11.2 AG's on the rear to level it out.

I would stay away from narrower tires. I have a lot of gumbo mud experiance. It rains mud globs instead of snow herebouts. narrow tires will cut in and then push up mud or snow or macaroni or whatever the Lord serves up to torment a man trying to get the chores done. All of my rigs have the widest tires possible so that they will float and bob over the goop. I thought your rig had brakes? The wheel is to hold on too. The brakes do the turnin. :wink:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:33 pm

When I drove the cub cadet with the fel the bucket when scooping drove me crazy with the steering wheel. When the tires would hit anything on the ground they would just steer that way on there own ripping the steering wheel out of my hands while i tried to operate the bucket at the sametime.

Now i'm thinking the fatter 3 rib tires would be less on the steering components with or without power steering.

I know for sure the 400-12 3 rib tires will sink in the soil when the bucket is full.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”