This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

3 point hitch

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
prespres
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24084

3 point hitch

Postby prespres » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm

I made a mistake... I bought a cadet 105, got hooked and I just bought a 154 which I have yet to pick up. I have questions. This tractor only uses gravity for down force on the 3 point right? Any way to tap into the hydraulic system and use a 2 way cylinder? What can I hook to the quick hitch without bending the heck out of it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 3 point hitch

Postby gitractorman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:45 am

There is already a hydraulic cylinder there providing lift on the 154, but I believe that you are correct in that it does rely on gravity to pull it down. If you do not have a 3-point hitch, there is one cylinder, the mid lift cylinder, which is only about a foot long, up underneath the tractor. If you have a 3-point hitch, then there is a selector valve on the tunnel cover, and a separate lift cylinder in the back of the tractor that lifts the 3-point arms. I do not recall if that has down pressure or not. Either way, the cylinders are already there, and I guess that you could switch them to 2-way pressure.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 3 point hitch

Postby BigBill » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 pm

In looking at the 3pt hitch i'm not sure if using a double action cylinder would work ok or not. The attachment requires that it is free to move up and down. If it had down pressure you would pick up the rear of the tractor losing the drive from the rear wheels. Unless your going to make a post hole digger with down pressure?

I thought of doing this too but after thinking about it i can understand why the IH engineers did it that way.

I'm designing a fast hitch for my fcub right now and i plan on using a chain to lift it with the hydraulics. The chain will allow the rear brush hog to be free to move up and down with the lay of the land. The fast hitch remains solid left and right too the brush hog has swivel wheels on the rear of it thats the only thing that turns because of the splined drive shaft.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”