This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter/generator output when cranking

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
motox500
10+ Years
10+ Years

starter/generator output when cranking

Postby motox500 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:02 am

hey all, having some issues with cranking over my 71 154 seems like the starter /generator is weak is there a way to check it to see if it is up to full capacity? It will spin when voltage is supplied but does that mean it is at 100%? my battery is new and everything else at this point checks out, can they be rebuilt? is their a replacement that can be used? just seems to be the weak link in getting my 154 back to good, i am almost there . thanks for any info

BILL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: starter/generator output when cranking

Postby BigBill » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:01 am

The S/G may need new brushes/bearings or just the armature cleaned. I would checkout and clean all the wire connections too. Is the solenoid making a hard click when you turn the key of a hesitent slow click?

Be fore you check anything i would connect the battery to the S/G with battery cables to see if it works good that way. Then you know if the s/g is good or not.

You can also check your wiring for corrosion too. Some of the wiring i have seen is eaten up with corrosion on these old tractors. The cloth outer casing allows the moisture to go thru it to the core.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: starter/generator output when cranking

Postby Garland Terry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:28 pm

I hate to throw Bill's money around but there are a couple of SGs on e-bay at the moment. Fortunatly I have access to a first rate starter/alternator shop and just had mine worked over for a "buy me a cup of coffee sometime". Them "thangs "is getting hard to find. If you have a weak one it might be worth the dollars to get one for the shelf.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”