This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 troubles

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Casey Hemken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65501

185 troubles

Postby Casey Hemken » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 am

I bought this great machine and got rid of a MTD made cub zero turn. Best move I ever made. I knew it had issues but is well worth it because now I have something. I replaced the clutch, clutch brake, etc. No problem. When I was done with that the shifter would flop all over and it was hard to find gears. After much scratching of my head I found the pin missing for the shifter tower. This worked fine.
Now I have trouble. 3rd and 4th gear selected will stall the motor and when I chose 1 or Rev it works ok but it makes a weird growling sound that makes me nervous enough not to use it. ANY help would be appreciated I really don't want to tear the whole thing back down if it is something simple. The trans is not easy to get to on these things.

Mows great but tends to scalp on the sides if on uneven terain is there a wheel/guide set for the outsides of the deck???

Lights don't work. Where can I get a wiring diagram? charges good. Is there a fuse somewhere? Any suggestions.

Like I said I haven't had it long and have only got to mow with it a few times but I love the real tractor aspect and I have had one of these before but never had to work on it in the 3 years I owned it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 185 troubles

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:10 am

It sounds to me you have a loose shifter fork in the tranny. Its not fully releasing the 2&3rd gear while your engaging 1st or rev gears. You need to remove the tranny shifter cover and tighten up the fork bolts if the fork isn't cracked or broken. I then stuffed the tranny with old welding gloves and welded the sides of the fork so its one piece now. Its the common thing to do on these tranny's when there open.

What mower deck do you have? A 3260 or 3160 or a woods? My 3260 scalps in the center blade buts its the deck housing and spindle mountaing plate thats the problem. The spindle mounting plate puts the blade on a tilted angle so it scalps on the un even ground. You could set your down limit higher too. I did add side wheels to both sides of the deck but that plate needs to be drilled and bolts added were they never put them. That will solve my scalping problem completely.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Casey Hemken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65501

Postby Casey Hemken » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks I finally found a parts blow up showing different forks for r/1 and 2/3. It looks like you are right about the fork being loose or broken.

Also I think I will add the outer wheels to mine too. I saw some in Harber Freight store that look like they will work pretty easy by drilling a couple holes in the top of the deck on each side. the main guide wheels are too far to the inside and the outside edge will dip into the ground on uneven ground.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:49 pm

http://www.ihregistry.com/wire/master.html

IH wiring diagrams. You will need to know your tractor serial number.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:04 pm

I took my 3260 mower with the missing outer wheels and i went to tractor supply and purchased the small air filled tires with tubes and took some angle to fabricate brackets for them. This was when i had the 8,3x24 tires and i never gave the 13.6x16 tires a thought till i picked up a set then i had to cut them off and i haven't remounted them yet. Thats just one point to thinl about when adding the outer wheels to the mower deck. Luckily i welded a piece of channel to the corner edge of the mower deck first so i could weld the angle brackets to it. I did cut off the angle brackets and then ground the angle on the deck smooth so its ready to add them back on at the wider setting. I may bolt them on to the angle bracket that i welded to the deck corner on the next setup.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 am

My deck came factory equipped with the wheels, and they only get in the way when you try to turn corners or back up,---hence,--- the reason most guys take them off, but I want them on to help support the flimsy deck!--I even added an ultra heavy angle iron across the front and bolted it down with 5 or 6 bolts.---this made a world of difference of how smooth it mowed after that!
Shortly after all that work the pto shot craps! Still havent got the pto unit parts to have a working pto again. Tractor sat all summer and I had to go back to mowing with the weed mower and the big weed eater! thanks; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”