This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brakes- Single vs. Duals, Help

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshman1k
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brakes- Single vs. Duals, Help

Postby marshman1k » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 pm

I have a 154 Cub Lo-Boy. When I purchased it it the single brake pedal set-up on it. I purchased a Dual pedal set-up on EBay. The price was considerably lower than some of the other offerings, ($75.00 vs. $225.00 and up). I started the swap out the other day. I successfully removed the riginal details. I was cursing the 38 year old roll pins.

When I was setting up the new linkages, I noticed that there was some interference with the brake actuating rods. They are interfering with an existing welded angle iron mont plate for the floorboard.

Is a different frame mount required for this?

What are my options?

Thank you for your responses.

Marshman
1971 154 Cub Lo-Boy, (with no brakes)
3260 mower deck
154 Plow
A fairly snazzy wagon
Cyclone Rake XL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Brakes- Single vs. Duals, Help

Postby Garland Terry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Marshman....my brother.... been there done that. I ran into the exact same situation. I finally cut a slot out of the angle iron bracket to allow the push rods to move unmolested. I used a plasma cutter but you could hack through if you want too. sorry I wish I could offer some other solution, one that did not involve blood letting, but that is all I could figure out. good luck and wear your PPE. GT :roll: :roll:

If it makes you feel better the dual brakes are the best thing I have done to the "grandchild" with the exception of the new wireing harness. :{_}:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 am

Great point i'm about to do this change over on my FEL project 154. But i have the backhoe subframe to deal with too. I guess i'll be cutting out clearance spots in certain places too.

I have two sets of dual brake pedals to install on my 154's. My 3rd 154 came with it. I had one wheel turn while being stuck and i hit the brake on the turning wheel and she climbed right out. That surely taught me about dual brake pedals. I had to have them for my two other 154's too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

marshman1k
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshman1k » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:28 am

Thank you for the information. I wonder what the factory did. I don't have anything to reference around me. I will get out the "hack"saw. I will finish it off with the Swiss multi-tooth manual milling machine.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:26 am

Perhaps Big Bill can get some pictures of this area on his 154 with the factory dual brakes and of the single brake set-up for comparison.
Bill - you take 'em - I'll post 'em!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 am

Bigdog wrote:Perhaps Big Bill can get some pictures of this area on his 154 with the factory dual brakes and of the single brake set-up for comparison.
Bill - you take 'em - I'll post 'em!

Sure i'll pull out both int154's and take pics of the single brake pedal and the twin brake pedals. I got two more twin brake pedal setups from ebay too so i can do up my two other 154's with the twin brake pedals. This was an option on the int154's like the 3pt hitch and the creeper tranny(hi/low) for the snowblower/tiller attachments.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

marshman1k
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshman1k » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Those pictures of the duals would be a great help. If an underside picture of where / how the new clutch-brake actuator sets up would be a great help as well. Both sides would be greatly appreciated. It looks as though the lh side might need some creativity as well. Thanks again!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:46 pm

I can get the pics for you possibly tomorrow. My arthritis is kicking my butt with the storm comming in i can't walk.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 pm

I don't know this for certain, but I thought that the dual brake setup was not offered as an option until 1970 when they went to the blue/black hood striped 154 from the older 1968-1969 style solid light blue stripes. The reason that I thought this was that the older, original 154s had the twisted 3/4" iron style brake pedal, just like the older Cubs and Lo-boys, but the newer 154s after 1970 had the pedals that were like the 130/140 tractors, with the textured pad with the diamond treads on it. Those are the only ones that I have ever seen with dual brake pedals. I have never seen one of the early 154s with dual brakes. Just a thought, and nothing more than my experience to back it up.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 pm

You stinker. Now I am in serious wonderment about the pedigree of my tractor! My tractor is supposed to be a 72 or 73 but it has blue on white decals. It also originally had twisted flat iron pedals. I bought a set of cast pedals from a fellow and he sent me everything. Back on the subject. You may have issues with your clutch linkage as well. I had to do some major modifications to the clutch link to get it to line up. Of course I was working around a creeper that wasn't there originally. This reminds me of a Black and WHITE registered Angus Bull an old boy in Texas tried to sell me. The parts were there and in the right place, but just because it fits don't make it right.
GT

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 pm

The pics of the dual brakes are here:

marshman1k
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshman1k » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for the pix Mr. Big Bill! It lookas if a slot will be required on the rh linkage rod. My 154 originally had the bent steel pedals. the set up has the cast pedals. They look significantly beefier. I'll get that clutch linkage figured out. I do have the creeper. I believe it was a factory install.

I'll take a look at the s/n, ("71 ibelieve), and my hood decal color scheme. It might be a good time to "register" it within the forum.

marshman1k
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshman1k » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:21 pm

I appreciate a look at the return springs for the pedals as well, a bit beefier than I anticipated. Looks as if a bit of scrounging around a hardware store is in order. Well... there is always Hamilton Bob on EBay

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Like i said before i need to think this out on my fel/backhoe project too. I'm adding the dual brake pedals and I have a creeper setup for it too but i'm not sure the FEL/Backhoe will need it. I hate to use the creeper when it may or may not be needed. My other int154 has the 3pt hitch which i would like to pick up a rear tiller and the snowblower someday for it too. It doesn't have the creeper and i have another set of twin brakes for this one too to install. My 3rd 154 has the creeper but no 3pt hitch, but it has the twin brakes go figure. Its kind of a catch 22 to figure out what to do.

Were starting to plan the bottom subframe for the backhoe and the cross angles maybe cut off and replaced with 3" channel welded to the 6" channel or larger that goes from my 1/2" plate to the rear of the tractor to support the lower backhoe frame. The upper backhoe frame will come from under the seat / fender support similair to the 3pt upper bracket. I still have to box the orginal frame in the rear section too.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:39 pm

I just remembered somthing else from my dual conversion. I had to trim a little off of the belt cover on the mower deck. The right side pedal hits if you try to use that brake when the mower deck is up. That is on an international deck. A woods may be different. Sorry but digging up the devil is my job around here. :twisted: Luck GT

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”