This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch replacement (154)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Clutch replacement (154)

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:40 pm

My last int154 that i purchased needs a clutch replaced. The book says it can be done by moving the engine forward about 1 1/2". Has anyone done this yet?

The clutch doesn't slip that often but i know it needs to be replaced before winter. This 154 has the creeper and IH snowplow. BB
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch replacement (154)

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:48 am

Bill, I replaced a clutch, but mine was in rhe newer ser. # range, where the engine doesn't have to be moved, just the driveshaft unbolted. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:41 am

Ed; Does your 154 have the pto pulley on the engine flywheel? I have an older 154 that has the pulley for the pto seperate on the drive shaft. I been hoping its a one day job. I figure the flywheel needs to be resurfaced too since it has to be glazed too. It doesn't pull thru the clutch all the time and with the creeper in low it doesn't pull thru at all. But when the snow comes it may change that. I'd rather play it safe now and change it out. I ordered the clutch setup from wengers.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I did this a few weeks ago and was going to post pictures. My 154 does not have a center bearing on the driveshaft. I removed the shaft to flywheel coupling and bolt, slid the shaft forward into a depression in the flywheel, removed the pressure plate bolts and clutch linkage, lifted the clutch upwards, pulled the shaft towards the back, dropped the front of the shaft below the flywheel, slid the shaft forward under the flywheel, the clutch stuff then was able to be removed from the shaft. Took 30 minutes to remove the clutch and another to put the new clutch on.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:53 am

BigBill wrote:Ed; Does your 154 have the pto pulley on the engine flywheel? I have an older 154 that has the pulley for the pto seperate on the drive shaft. I been hoping its a one day job. I figure the flywheel needs to be resurfaced too since it has to be glazed too. It doesn't pull thru the clutch all the time and with the creeper in low it doesn't pull thru at all. But when the snow comes it may change that. I'd rather play it safe now and change it out. I ordered the clutch setup from wengers.

Bill, mine has the pto pulley attached to the flywheel. the shaft unbolts, at the flywheel,and slides foreward enough,to change the clutch. I believe you need to unbolt and move your engine, on yours. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 am

My first int154 has the PTO pulleys on the flywheel. My #2 & #3 154's have the pulley on the driveshaft. On my 154 fel project which is on hold right now i will install the creeper with a new clutch when i pull the engine to refresh it. (soon) Every nice day i cut the grass, we seem to have more rainy days than sunny days. The weatherman should predict the sunny days instead of focusing on the rainy days. The hay here is really bad its high and starting to rot. I wonder what that will do to the supply of hay and the local hay prices.

I was thinking rather than disconnect the radiator hoses just loosen the radiator mounts and slide the radiator forward with the engine too.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”