This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My int154 throttle cable

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

My int154 throttle cable

Postby BigBill » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:49 pm

I finally got the chance to work on my int154 (#1) that has the broken throttle cable. I purchased the replacement lawn mower throttle cable assembly to use the inner wire to rewire the IH cub 154 loboy casing(outer housing). It cost me just $6. We removed the old throttle assembly and installed the new wire inside the orginal casing. The new wire is longer so that can be fitted later. If you have a good outer casing and just the inside wire broke this is a great affordable repair. The new IH 154 cub loboy throttle cable assembly is so expensive.

A while back my throttle lever was loose too it wouldn't hold on the higher rpm setting. There is a 1/4-20 hex bolt holding the lever assembly together so with a 7/16" wrench and a 1/4" dr ratchet set with a 7/16" socket i tightened it up so it had some drag so it would work. I guess the plastic washer fell out thats why it became loose.

Now for this fix i used two rubber o rings, one that fit perfectly inside the other(smaller and larger). I put the hex bolt thru the lever and put one 1/4" flat washer, then the two o rings and then the other flat washer to sandwich the o rings. I then used a nyloc nut so its held together. I adjusted the nut until the lever has a decent feel and drag on it.

This fixed my throttle cable problem.

I now have another problem. My wiring is so bad one wire came apart on the ign switch. Well while the hood is off its time to rewire it too. Its time to fab a harness on a flat board using finnish nails for each wire so i can copy it for my other 154's.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My int154 throttle cable

Postby Landreo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 am

I have not tried that but it is a good idea.

Keeping with my frugal nature, I have a 1986 4Runner that had a badly frayed throttle cable such that it would grab the cable housing and stick open. A replacement cable was close to $100 so I went to Walmart and bought a set of bicycle brake cables and pulled the flexible cable out from the inside of the holder. I threaded it inside the 4Runner holder and has been going strong for 5 years.

Cheapness is the mother of invention!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: My int154 throttle cable

Postby BigBill » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:30 am

I did purchase a brand new throttle cable to replace this bad one on this tractor. It was around $40 and then i was at TSC and seen a replacement push mower throttle cable thats a universal set up thats longer so i was sure the inside wire would fit it. Even the wire is the same diameter too. So if you have an outer housing in good condition you can swap out the inner wire for just $6.

On a sad note all my wiring is frayed and has to be changed out. I been putting it off till the ign wire just broke apart while fixing the throttle cable on my #1 154. My project #2 154 needs to be rewired and my #3 when i turn the lights on the amp gage goes negative so it sounds like a short too.

My advise would be to checkout your wiring because the other int154's can't be too far behind. I even noticed that the wiring on my 52 fcub needs to be changed out too. I guess i'm going to be in the wiring harness fabrication business for a while. I will make templates for each tractor.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”