This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Older INT154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Older INT154

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am

My project tractor is an older int154. My son took apart the rear sheetmetal yesterday so we could check the tranny too while figuring the backhoe subframe. I noticed a welded but a little loose 1st & rev fork. The tranny gears looked awesome but later i smelt something strange on my hands. I had 90wt gear oil on my hands. I'm thinking that someone put 90wt gear oil in the tranny. Plus i didn't see any return line on the top of the shifter cover too. I know its an older 154 but i didn't think they would be so different in some areas. I need to check this out too.

I did notice it is a disc brake pad on the flywheel brake. It looks warn so i guess it worked. I'm going to remove it and install the orginal pucks.

So far the frame looks awesome and untouched plus no cracks are seen yet too. It was restored and painted once before but it wasn't a complete disassembly like were doing now. I really want to strip the frame down and coat it with some good quality primer. I figure to use the valspar red rusty primer first. The inside of the frame will get two coats of primer. I guess everything needs to be cleaned up and well painted correctly.

I'm measuring the front subframe for the outside of the frame rails now. I noticed with the limited space I can't go to the inside of the area to stiffen it. With a quick look at the rear I may do the same thing too. Now were the frame goes from wide to narrow i figure to box the inside of this area as well as to run two frame rails to connect the FEL subframe to the backhoe subframe. At the sametime we need to think "lightness" too we don't want to over kill the structural weight too. We want the design light and strong at the sametime. But at the sametime the machine has to be liftable on the subframe by 3 points when using the backhoe with no bending moments of the subframe. At the sametime it has to look awesome too. The subframe with the gussets need to be in the right spots to eliminate the bending moments. At the sametime i'd like to take all the twist and bending out of the orginal frame.

The biggest thing with the front axles breaking is the axle runs out of swing and hits the stops. While under the heavy load with an FEL this causes the center pivot of the axle to crack. So we need to watch out that we don't bottom out the swing of the front axle with the FEL. I'm going to weld a steel truss to the castiron front axle. This will take out the bending moment on the front axle. I'm going to gusset the front spindles too so they can bend up. I would like to strengthen up the front axle to see if it holds up before fabricating a new front axle. I would like to upgrade the design and test it.

On the rear subframe in looking at the final i'm thinking of connecting the final housings to the subframe and to the FEL subframe too. So from the front to the rear its all one subframe.

This isn't your average smaller garden tractor FEL project.

Anythoughts???

Do we want to draw each part i'm fabricating to make this happen for future use for our int154 info records? Do we need step by step as we go pics too? Should i do a whole file on it?

The home brewed garden tractor FEL's and Backhoes are a booming thing right now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Older INT154

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu May 07, 2009 9:43 am

Document it, Build Two side by side and Sell One!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”