This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My 154 project has begun

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

My 154 project has begun

Postby BigBill » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:36 pm

I finally got a good look at my #2 154 project tractor. The engine feels tight with no noticable knocks or noises. But i don't feel any compression. By the looks of the rust on some of the parts on the frame and how its been repainted in some places it may have been restored at one time but its been sitting a longtime. Now I was going to fire it up to hear it run before pulling the engine but i'm just going to pull it now and rebuild it. For the cost of the rings/bearings/gaskets and a new oil pump if everything looks within specs i think its worth doing now rather than go back when the FEL is on and in the way of pulling the engine. I'm going to hone or bore the block and do the valves. I'm going to have the head cut just .010" to clean it and to be sure its flat. I'll check the deck on the block for flatness and have it decked too if it needs it. Sometimes it pays off to besure rather than take a chance because you never know if it was overheated really bad or not to warp the block. While it may look or be ok before it was taken apart things do go bad once to touch it. I just don't want any problems later on that can bite me. I just want a good machine when i'm done. I'm going to send out the radiator to be cleaned and make sure its good too.

Did I miss anything that i should do?

I'm going to remove the PTO & PTO drive setup. Most of the rocker shaft stuff and the hydraulics except for the pump which i'm going to use for the power steering. Most of the stuff on the tractor right now i'm not going to need or use. I plan on using the drive shaft pully for the PTO to drive the new hydraulic pump for the FEL/backhoe and add a selector valve.

Look like my sons will be turning wrenches soon stripping it down to the frame.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”