This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Project 154 Complete

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Project 154 Complete

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 am

:D Yesterday me, my son, and wife (Photographer). Completed the 154 that started as a repair. And actually was just a back end rebuild. My son did the lions share of the work and as you can see I did the supervising :wink:. Everything went together pretty easy there were a few grunts here and there but for the most part it was a good experience for both of us, even my grandson did a little helping handing his dad tools. Here is a few photos I will post more showing the 154 in action :!:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Keith L
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Project 154 Complete

Postby Keith L » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am

Looks good! Can't wait till I can start posting pictures of mine going back together. Now waiting for the engine block to get back from the machinest and warmer weather so I can start painting all the pieces.
Keith Lukachek
55 Lo (Woods), 57 Lo(in boxes), 62 Lo(105 mower), 50 for parades, 57 FH, 58 FH, 64 Loader (Ugly Duckling), 154 (Woods), 59(Woods), 49 SAV, 58 460U Diesel

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Boy you guys are way ahead of me. We were just looking at my 154 project tractor today to disassemble. Its still cold here. I'm finding more things the PO did to it. Besides running the s/g and an alternator on the 154 he put a disc brake pad inplace of the brake pucks on the flywheel brake. He used the s/g to start it up and the alt. to charge the battery. But a disc brake pad on the flywheel brake thats an innovation right? I'll change that back to its orginal state too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:21 pm

BigBill wrote:Boy you guys are way ahead of me. We were just looking at my 154 project tractor today to disassemble. Its still cold here. I'm finding more things the PO did to it. Besides running the s/g and an alternator on the 154 he put a disc brake pad inplace of the brake pucks on the flywheel brake. He used the s/g to start it up and the alt. to charge the battery. But a disc brake pad on the flywheel brake thats an innovation right? I'll change that back to its orginal state too.

BigBill: I'm not so sure I would be in favor of changing the disc brake change to the clutch brake. I have the original setup and it is a bear to get adjusted right and they wear out in no time. The pictures that I posted my wife took of me and my son in the barn and it was rainy and cold, today we have had snow flurries on and off. Ive had the 154 out for a test run tried the PTO checked the creeper drive and went threw the gears all is well. Except the clutch brake I have to fine tune it. I adjusted it as per speck and it grabs to soon so I have to loosen it up some. Like I said the clutch brake is a pain. That's my only real complaint that system sucks :x .

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Joe:

The Cub is looking pretty good. Looks nice.. and it looks like it was a fun family affair today as well. More pics please.. :!: :D Paint looks closer too..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:18 pm

I inspected the flywheel brake today and took a closer look see. Yup its a worn out disc brake pad. I have a case of extra brake material that we tested in doing brake tests when i was working in the lab. Maybe i can fabricate up something better. One more thing on my fix list.

But like i said on my previous posts about my #1 154 with the clutch/flywheel adjustment. All i did was to adjust the throwout bearing with a .090" air gap to the clutch finger and set the pucks on the flywheel brake to .010" air gap and its been great for going on 3 years + now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:39 pm

BigBill wrote:I inspected the flywheel brake today and took a closer look see. Yup its a worn out disc brake pad. I have a case of extra brake material that we tested in doing brake tests when i was working in the lab. Maybe i can fabricate up something better. One more thing on my fix list.

But like i said on my previous posts about my #1 154 with the clutch/flywheel adjustment. All i did was to adjust the throwout bearing with a .090" air gap to the clutch finger and set the pucks on the flywheel brake to .010" air gap and its been great for going on 3 years + now.

BigBill: I hear what you are saying and it could just be my setup but if I adjust the clutch to throw out bearing clearance to .090 and the clutch brake at 0.10 the clutch brake stops the entire tractor, I have to leave 0.30 on the clutch brake pads for it to work on my machine.

I just replaced the throw out bearing and the clutch brake tabs before I put the tractor back together and I had to re-adjust the clutch brake at .030 today so the tractor wouldn't labor when I started off in 1st gear. I didn't mike the transmission flywheel to see if it was warped but looking at it while the machine is running it looks concentric (no wobble). I have a dial gauge and magnetic base maybe I should check it with that.

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057

Postby 56cub » Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Looks good!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed May 20, 2009 6:29 pm

Congrats on you finishing it up. Thats a newer int154, i see the return line on the hydraulics at the top of the tranny. It should also have the PTO drive pulley one piece flywheel too(right?)

Mine is down to the rollin drivetrain now. Were starting on the subframe soon. I want to make the bolt on subframe while everything is in place on the frame before we disassemble anything so it clears everything. I have the creeper, new clutch and twin brakes to add to it too. Once i fix my welder and fire it up it should go quickly i hope.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Joe:

Congrats :applause: on getting the 154 done :big smile:

Sure hope you had some fun ...

Now how is the rest coming along :?: :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”