This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Starting Problem -- Solved --

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

154 Starting Problem -- Solved --

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:08 am

Folks,

When it comes to electrical stuff, I can get in over my head real quick.

Here's the scenario. I unhooked the following wires/cables: battery ground, oil pressure sensor, starter/generator cable, voltage regulator, and lights. Removed the engine and relaced the rear seal in 154. Installed the engine and cleaned each wire/cable and then hooked up the wires/cables with the battery ground being last. Tried to start the engine and nothing happens. Clutch depressed. Battery shows over 13 volts. This puppy ran like a top when I parked it to replace the rear seal.

This sure seems simple enough but electrical stuff is not something I'm good at. Give me a plow! :)

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Re: 154 Starting Problem

Postby Landreo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:54 am

Did you remove the connector from the starter key switch? If not, you may want to check that connector, it may have come loose while you were moving all the wires.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Bill - make sure the clutch switch is making contact. This is one of those circuits one just needs to trace out to find the problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Folks,

I've progressed to the point that I can get the engine to turn over very slowly, and not for long, but it doesn't turn over each time I try to start it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Hooked up correctly? The starter mounts clean? If so, leave the key off and run jumper cables from neg terminal to the starter case, pos terminal just touch on the "A" terminal of the starter. If it does not spin the engine then there is a problem with with the starter or battery. I have had teminal nuts so tight and corroded that removing them twisted the terminal and tore some of the internal connections, that may happened but eitherway just bypass all and check the starter with jumper cables.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Bill
Bill

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Just got through using jumper cables to try the starter/generator. The s/g turned over, but very slowly, just like it does with the key. Battery still has over 12.5 volts. If I hold the key in the start position and push the clutch in and out, the clutch safety lockout works. I thought that I might have the fan belt to tight causing a bind, so I adjusted it. Still no difference. The frustration meter is going up. :? :?

Any help is appreciated.

Bill
Bill

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Not trying to insult you but does the engine turn when you grab the fan blades, in other words is the engine tight? If not then I would loosen the fan belt and spin the starter pulley looking and listening for binding or worse scraping of wires inside the starter. If not then, jump again without the belt hooked up and the starter should take off very quickly almost like a snap. If it does not then take off the two wires on the starter and look at the terminals. Are they tight, did one possible rotate when you took off the terminal nuts initially? It may be time to take the starter apart, not much inside but look at the brushes, internal wires to the terminals, etc...

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Check the ground (both ends). Take the cable off, clean it, and reinstall, even if you did it before.

cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Postby cubguy's dad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Bill

If you have a 3 wire starter/gen you probably have the M terminal and A terminal reversed. This would cause the syptoms that you describe and is a common problem with the 3 terminal.

Here are a couple of diagrams to help you out. shown is one for the 2 terminal and also the 3 terminal. Check the wiring I think that you will find your problem

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... age-58.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... age-59.jpg

Good Luck

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm

A 154 should only have a 2 wire starter generator according to the wiring diagram in the service manual (GSS-1408 W/Revision 4, September, 1978)

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Folks,

I've progressed to the point that I can get the engine to turn over very slowly, and not for long, but it doesn't turn over each time I try to start it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

Bill: I have had my 154 apart to repair more times then I can count and one thing I do know when it comes to starting problems you have to start at the battery connections and work to the starter and if there are no bad connections, as you have indicated in your posts. My best guess is that you need to remove the starter- generator and clean it up check the fields for signs of wear ( shiny spots), check the brushes they could very well be worn down to the point that they are not conducting as they should. Also check the armature were they make contact clean it up if it has a deep ridge in it, it should be replaced. And if the stater is touching the armature at all the bushings are worn and need to be replaced.

I hope this helps

Joe

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Folks,

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I'm :oops: :oops: because I did not check the obvious. The battery was shot, even thou it showed over 12.5 volts, when it was load tested the volts instantly dropped to less than 4 and kept dropping. New battery - problem solved.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement.

Bill
Bill

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 154 Starting Problem -- Solved --

Postby BigBill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 am

Way to go you found the problem!!!!!! :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

These machines are sure sweet when there running right. :)):

The battery had a short between the plates. It won't show up until it sees a load. Sometimes these new fang dangled battery checkers are worth there money. I wonder if the problem would show up on the amp gage on the battery charger? It should take a negative dive when you hit the starter switch. I would think anyway. I think the older battery chargers had more features to checkout the batteries. BB
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”