This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Creeper drive question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Creeper drive question

Postby Jersey_cub » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 pm

I have been checking my service manual and my operators manual to find out if I have to fill the creeper drive separately or is it filled threw the filling of the transmission fill plug& level hole I'm not sure because the service manual says to fill the creeper drive with 1-1/2 pints of hy-tran fluid but no were in the manual do I find were to fill it from.

There is a plug in the top of the input shaft housing but there is nothing showing you that in the manuals.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Creeper drive question

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm

You can remove the vent plug in the top of the creeper gear case and fill it, or remove the "fill to" plug (pipe plug) on the left side of the case, and fill it to that level.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Paul B wrote:You can remove the vent plug in the top of the creeper gear case and fill it, or remove the "fill to" plug (pipe plug) on the left side of the case, and fill it to that level.

Thanks Paul :D You would think they would tell you that in the service manual, but then again it might be taken for granted that one would know that :oops:

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this site to go to for questions and were to get parts. Thanks again Ill be putting it back together tomorrow.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Paul B:

I went out today to re-install the creeper drive and discovered that there is no fill to pipe plug on either side of the creeper drive housing, there's only the pipe plug on the top of the housing as I mentioned in my first post. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would. Anyway I was studding the front of the transmission to see if I could notice were the creeper drive may get hy-tran from the transmission and really couldn't tell, it doesn't make sense to me since there is no way to check the level of fluid in the creeper drive only at the rear of the final drive were you fill the transmission. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Dumb question is there a dip stick on the bottom of the pipe plug? If there is so side level hole it may have a dip stick.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 pm

BigBill wrote:Dumb question is there a dip stick on the bottom of the pipe plug? If there is so side level hole it may have a dip stick.

I don't think so but I will check and let you know, It's going to have to wait till tomorrow though I'm not able to do anything with it tonight.

It's wife night and that means only she gets attention :||):

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:37 pm

It should not fill from the transmission. Go to the Case IH parts look up site, http://www1.caseih.com/northamerica/Pages/Home.aspx

Click on parts & Service and follow the lead to parts.

Enter 154 for the model number,

Then click on 154 Gas Tractor,

Then on Drive Train,

Then on 07-19 Drive Train Reduction Drive,

And see if the picture/parts breakdown matches what you have.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:07 am

Paul B:

Here is a picture of my creeper drive as you can see there is no fill to level side plug as shown in the 07-19 exploded view only the breather plug, and there is no dip stick attached.Image If you go to the photo gallery you can view a larger picture of it under 154 rebuild

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am

Remove the breather plug in the top of the case and fill it there. If it is empty add the amount specified in the manual....... after it is installed on the front of the transmission of course.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:38 am

Paul B wrote:Remove the breather plug in the top of the case and fill it there. If it is empty add the amount specified in the manual....... after it is installed on the front of the transmission of course.

That's a given. I know that it needs to be installed on the transmission :) But after filling with the 1-1/2 pints of Hy-tran there will be no way for me to check the fluid level in the future.

I guess that is why IH changed to the housing with the side plug, mine must be an earlier model I believe it is a 1972 IH 154 the serial # I have written in my owners manual is 024200.

I'm still not convinced that the Hy-tran doesn't get into the creeper drive from the oil gallery in the transmission in some way but I will fill the creeper with oil threw the breather plug.

Thanks for all your help Paul and I will keep posting pictures as I go along.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:06 pm

I filled my creeper tranny on my 108 cub cadet thru the breather tube on the top with the side plug removed to see the level when its full. Without the side pipe plug feature there is no way to know what the oil level is. Is there any pipe plugs on the front of the housing? I can't believe the IH engineer's missed this.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm

BigBill wrote:I filled my creeper tranny on my 108 cub cadet thru the breather tube on the top with the side plug removed to see the level when its full. Without the side pipe plug feature there is no way to know what the oil level is. Is there any pipe plugs on the front of the housing? I can't believe the IH engineer's missed this.

No plug no were no way :? I know it sounds crazy but that's it you can see by the photo in the photo host there is nothing on the sides or front.Image

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Since its off why not drill and tap an npt pipe plug hole now? I would look at http://www.partstree.com then click on cub cadet, then click on garden tractor and punch in 154 and click on the creeper tranny to get an idea what location the plug is in. My 3rd int154 isn't here yet so i can measure it for you. I'll bet its about halfway up the side of the housing. The hole being at halfway up the side would give it a 1/3rd of the way up oil level when its turning. That sounds about right to keep it in oil and splashing at the sametime. Maybe some one who has a creeper on there 154/184/185 could measure it for you. :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

When you get in reinstalled, fill it with the recommended amount. Then use a rod or thin stick to measure the depth. write it down someplace and recheck when you want.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 am

Jersey Cub,
My 1980 184 is the same as yours, but I don't know if my creeper has been there since the factory or if it was added later.
Notice that on your pic the shift lever is on the RH side of the casting. The diagram on the IH website shows the shift lever on the left.
For mine, I just drain it and refill it to volume spec every year or two.
By the way, the creeper is not filled through the transmission. It is a separate reservoir.
Last edited by outdoors4evr on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”