This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Started as a repair turning into a project

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: 154 Started as a repair turning into a project

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 pm

Joe:

Glad you guys are enjoying the project. Gonna be one to remember I bet.

Joe, would suggest you get the CaseIH Iron Gard Federal Yellow, If you cannot get the CaseIH, then Dupont Centari has the right codes to mix up a pretty perfect match. Most autopaint suppliers/shops can load up rattle cans pretty cheaply. Better grade of paint for about the same price. I have my local NAPA Paint Store load up the rattle cans now for touchups etc. Too far to drive for real Iron Gard.. gotta travel to either Sussex or Amherst..

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:33 am

Awesome job so far. I figured the reduction tranny would have to be removed from the way it covered the front of the tranny were the freeze plugs are.

My first int154 needs the 1st & rev gear fork repaired soon. Its pretty common on all these tranny's. (154's/fcubs/cadets)

I notice the input tranny shaft is splined for the reduction tranny. The regular 154 tranny has a round shaft and the reduction tranny has the slip on gear thats pinned on.

I like to have extra parts on the shelf and i'm pretty well there. Thanks to hamiltonbob on ebay i have almost a complete 154 on the shelf in parts. I have to support my 3 int154's now and keep them in running condition.

As far as my paint colors go i'm going with valspar "international white" and "cub cadet yellow" it will look like my cub cadets only its on steroids. (bigger) On these used 154's i have noticed some PO painted them with a white gloss which i found out there not really that color. Its more of an off white.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Rudi:

It was good talkin to ya the other night that new head set works great. BigBill had suggested using rattle can paint from TSC the only problem is the nearest one is two hours away, but the suggestion to use IH federal yellow is good but I have to order it and wait till they can send it to a store near me. The other suggestion about using NAPA is good also, I wasn't aware that they could fill rattle cans so If IH doesn't workout Ill go to NAPA with the info you posted and have them make some up for me.

I'm going to wait to paint anyway because the weather is a little to cool and damp right now. Ill probably have to pulls the reins in on my son though, he was here to day with my grandson and wanted to know why I haven't started painting the tractor yet. So much for patience :P this younger generation always in a rush :lol: I'm really glad to have his help,and my grandson loves riding on poppys tractor :||): .

Now that I know how to post photos there will be lots to see.

Joe

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Here are some pics of the frame that I started to paint todayImageImageImage

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Here is a few more pics. I took today after applying the first few coats of paint to the rear and some of the frame.ImageImageImageImage

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am

Joe:

That is really beginning to look good :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Rudi wrote:Joe:

That is really beginning to look good :!:

Rudi: My son stopped by today and asked me what was the hold up, and why isn't it painted yet :roll: I told him I have to get some more rattle cans tomorrow and the weather isn't that good for painting. He is anxious to get the tractor back together and I keep telling him it takes time to do things rite :-:-):

That's just the first dust coat on the rear and the frame. I figure it's going to take at least four or five more coats, and that's hopin the weather holds out. Today it's been in the low 30s :cry: not good for painting. I'm actually anxious to get er back together so I can get to tillin the garden but I want to make sure while its apart I get everything fixed and painted now and not be sorry later-ya now "bin there don that".

How am I doing posting pics :?: Just like you said it's like riding a bike :lol:

Joe

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Joe:

You are doing great.. I am liking the pics. And yup, just like riding a bike ...................................... :wink: :arrow: :lol:

You are right though, a bit too much on the bright side. Will be a good foundation.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Well a little more paint and a few more parts and it's ready to go back together, I just left the barn after putting on a few more coats of paint and it's looking good. Talked with my son today and we decided we would put everything back together Thursday. I think Ill have my wife take the pictures while we put things back together.

Boy what a time I had this weekend at NAPA trying to get the paint I needed to finish. First they told me that they can't mix the paint I need and that they don't fill rattle cans, so I checked the shelves of paint and found equipment yellow that matched what I needed BUT they only had two cans and weren't sure when they could get more. I just took what they had, next situation was trying to get a feeler Gage I won't go into detail, Ill just say by that time I just told the owner he needed to catch up with the rest of the world-payed my money and vowed to never return :evil: :!: :!: :!: I mean this is NJ not far from the NY metro area God help us :shock: :!: Thank goodness I have no problem getting parts because of this site and the people connected with it. Well that's enough of a rant I'm just happy to be able to fix up my 154 Lo-Boy. Next post Ill add some pics.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”