This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch question 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch question 154

Postby Lance Leitzel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 am

I have an odd clutch question. How tightly coupled should the driveshaft and clutch be? I have noticed that I can rotate my driveshaft (20-30 degrees) back and forth before the splines lock onto the clutch.

Thanks - Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Clutch question 154

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am

Are you holding the flywheel tight with the brake on? The flywheel pucks should hold the flywheel firm when the brake is on. Then you can turn the shaft to see if there is any play in it. You shouldn't have any really noticable play at all between the clutch disc and the drive shaft spline. If you do have that much play between the two I would say that something is wornout and it maybe the driveshaft splines.

Now if your rolling the tractor with the tranny in gear to check this you will see all the slack being taken up between the tranny gears and differential gears which will give you more play between the backlash. This isn't the way to check it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch question 154

Postby Lance Leitzel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 am

I think you are right Bill. You are correct, this is with the flywheel being held still with the clutch brake. Ok, sounds like I need to start tearing it apart and seeing what might be wrong.

Thanks - Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”