This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Freeplay on the pto and transmission clutch on the 154 loboy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
motox500
10+ Years
10+ Years

Freeplay on the pto and transmission clutch on the 154 loboy

Postby motox500 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 pm

hey all, rebuilding my 154 and was wondering if there was any good advice on the tranny clutch and PTO on the 154, last thing i want to do or anybody else wants to do is screw things up because of lack of proper info, things like freeplay on both the clutch and PTO , installation tips, etc. i am sure someone out there has experience on these two items that could save a lot of grief for the masses, i do have the service manual but was wondering if all the bases are covered.,

BILL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Freeplay on the pto and transmission clutch on the 154 loboy

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Welcome to the Fourm.

One inch free play on the clutch. Finger clearance to 3/16". Then adjust the brake to .010 at the flywheel. Everything is straight forward. Check the throwout bearing for excessive wear. The pedals have a bad habit of bending, check and straighten out if necessary.
Have not had the need to tear into the PTO. Can't help you there other than following the Manual.
Shop manual can be found at the link below, only pages 1-18 apply to your tractor.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20 ... index.html

Hope this helps

motox500
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby motox500 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 am

thanks screwstick, is the 1" at the clutch pedal? and can you elaborate on the freeplay at the flywheel. sorry, this is my first tractor.

BILL

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Bill,
There is a crossection on page 10 in the shop manual, it will give you a better idea of what you need to do.
Yes, the one inch freeplay is on the clutch pedal (sorry, fingers working faster than the peanut!). This is explaned as the pedal should move one inch before the throwout bearing hits the clutch fingers. Once the freeplay is achieved, you should have close to 3/16" gap between the fingers and the throwout bearing with the pedal all the way up. Now that the clutch is adjusted, you need to adjust the flywheel brake to .010. This is measured between the flywheel and the brake tabs in front of the transmission. On these tractors, there are two flywheels, one on the engine, one on the transmission. The one on the transmission is where your measurement is. This is what will stop the transmission from turning so you can go into gear. This will also stop the tractor, but you should not use this to stop the tractor because the tabs will soon wear out. Use the clutch and brake to stop the machine at all times (as much as possible at least).
No apologies necessary. This how everyone learns, I was not so long ago in the same boat as you!
Hope this helps.

motox500
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby motox500 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 am

thanks again , you have been most helpful.

BILL

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”