This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help with a starter problem

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JR Scout
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36111

Need help with a starter problem

Postby JR Scout » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:51 pm

I have a 185 with the Delphi starter/generator. It was down for a few weeks to replace the pto clutch and to install electronic ignition. I did a pull/clutch pop start (which is not unusual when it sits up for a while) and it ran fine. The next day it started normally and mowed for about an hour. Next time out, the starter whined, but wouldn’t turn the motor.The battery is good, so I took the starter/generator off to be rebuilt- didn’t change anything. I took the belt off and the starter seems to spin up fine. I can pull the tractor and clutch start it with no problem.
Question is: Would the voltage regulator cause this? I opened it and didn’t see any signs of moisture or scorching. Again, the starter seems to have plenty of ‘spin’ with the belt off.
One piece of additional info (and another question)- I didn’t take pictures of the starter connections before I took it off ( not expecting the extended repair time), so I’m not sure if I reconnected everything right, but again, it all seems to work right without the belt. Pictures are attached. The main thing that looks odd is the green wire running from the middle terminal and connecting back to the bottom of the regulator.
Attachments
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1548.jpeg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help with a starter problem

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:49 pm

Move your battery ground cable to the transmission. This moves the battery/system ground from corroded sheet metal to a better ground.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JR Scout
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36111

Postby JR Scout » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:57 pm

Not just the battery ground, but check all of your cable connections from the battery through the starter and safety switches to the starter/generator.

FSJNut
Zip Code: 37920

Postby FSJNut » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:00 pm

On my 185 the center wire on the regulator connects to the A terminal on the starter/ generator. The same one as the large cable. Don't know if that would effect starting, but i think it couldn't charge. Your regulator may be different from mine.
1973 Cub Cadet 1450
Cub Lo-Boy 185
IH Cub Cadet 982