This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Throttle adjustment?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
garmarnarnar
Zip Code: 000000
Tractors Owned: 68 Lo-Boy 154
72 Lo-Boy 154 with alternator/starter mod

154 Throttle adjustment?

Postby garmarnarnar » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:51 pm

I'm a decent backyard mechanic but this is something I know very little about.

I got a 154 that runs great but needs a little love. The throttle lever only goes up about halfway. I tried to adjust it while looking at the arm on the governor (I have long arms but this was tricky) and it looks like it might be pushing that little arm to its limit (maybe? idk). If I move the cable inside the little clamp on the arm the throttle lever will move all the way up, but only halfway down.

When I'm driving the throttle keeps going down until it bottoms out. I can push the lever back up as far as it wants to go, but it will immediately go back down after I let go.

What do I look at first?

Edit:

The washer between the two parts of the throttle control was cracked. I replaced this with a slightly thicker, slightly softer rubber washer. I then adjusted the throttle cable connection as per the service manual. I can get a little more throttle movement, but any time there is tension on the governor spring it just yanks the throttle control back down.

Brynki
Zip Code: 21921
Tractors Owned: Early 70s Cub 154 LoBoy

Re: 154 Throttle adjustment?

Postby Brynki » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:00 pm

Someone mentioned to me a possible solution when I was having the same problem. I haven't tried it out, yet, because I can't find my steering wheel puller and I can't get to the assembly. Still, the process seems simple. Tighten up the bolt on the engagement lever under the panel. I have to hold mine in place the entire time I'm driving, currently.