This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sourcing Governor Parts

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TienBien
Zip Code: 46160

Sourcing Governor Parts

Postby TienBien » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:08 pm

I have a a 1973 Cub lo-boy 154 new to me and my first cub. The previous owner bypassed the governor and I would like to return it to factory operation. Looking through the service manual diagram and comparing it to my cub I am assuming it either broke or operated poorly and was bypassed.

20221106_100731.jpg

Screenshot_20221106-164800_Drive.jpg

Current Governor and assemblies:
#7 the governor spring is missing

#11 spring throttle lever is broken with the upper portion above the pivot that connects to the throttle cable missing

#30 rockshaft extension assembly doesn't have a hole for the #1 governor connecting rod to attach.

Also missing the throttle cable but not sure of a part number for it or if it's available separate from the throttle lever assembly.

Currently the #1 governor connecting rod was repurposed to go from the carburetor to a piece of metal scrap on a pivot on the left side of the tractor allowing for direct control of the throttle.

Everything moves freely by hand so I'm hoping replacing the missing/broken parts should fix it. My issue is I can only find the governor spring and throttle spring lever but nothing else. Is looking for a parts cub my only option or am I just missing it online?

Thanks for all the help
Tyler

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sourcing Governor Parts

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:54 pm

If you click on TM Tractor at the bottom of the page (forum sponsor), then on new parts, then on governor, you'll find most of what you're looking for. I'd suggest starting there and then put a new list in the Vine classified subforum for any additional parts you might need. Lots of forum members have extra parts and may have what you need.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:33 pm

I'm not sure which parts are different between the earlier Cubs and the 154. Since you are working on a 154, I suggest you do as Bob McCarty suggested, except start with Hamilton Bobs ahead of TM.

I'm unclear as to how a hole can be missing from #30, unless it has been plugged or the end has been cut off. Any chance it is there and full of trash or paint?

TienBien

Postby TienBien » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:38 am

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have been able to source everything from the forum sponsors but I'm having trouble paying $50+ for a throttle cable. I found that its 37" and my lever and handle are fine so I'm going to try a generic 37" throttle cable for $5 first.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:30 am

The throttle "cable" is actually solid wire (piano wire). If you have the outer jacket, you can just thread a new piece of piano wire into it.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

TienBien

Postby TienBien » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:04 pm

So what's left is three or so inches of throttle cable with sheath coming from the lever in the dash. I can see the points where the cable would be secured and they are intact but no cable. The governor freely moves so I'm hoping it is operational. I ordered a 37" throttle cable (manual says 35" so I can trim to fit) along with the governor spring and spring throttle lever.

What I can't find anywhere is how the actual cable attaches to the #11 spring throttle lever. The most I found is this from Hamilton Bob on ebay...
s-l400-1.jpg

Is it worth paying for it or can I create/buy a similar part?

Thanks again for everyone's help and knowledge
Tyler

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:42 pm

Governor control swivel pin. If you are asking about the part in the photo. Purchase one.
TienBien wrote:What I can't find anywhere is how the actual cable attaches to the #11 spring throttle lever.
Service manual, fuel system, page 2-21, photo shows how the governor controls parts fit together.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”