This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Shaft

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ridgefield
Zip Code: 27043
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
Tafe 45DI (Massey 235 basically)
Kubota L185DT
Lo-Boy 185

Okay not tractors but
1971 F600
Case 440CT
John deere 26g

Steering Shaft

Postby Ridgefield » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:23 am

Hi All,

Lo-Boy 185

If you had a chance to read my post in the Introductions section, then you are aware that I messed up the threads on the steering shaft while attempting to remove the steering wheel so I could access under the dash. Long story there and I did take my time, using pb buster and heat. But either ways it's done now, just need to fix it.

I was able to locate a replacement shaft (Thank you HamiltonBobs) and it is Now I need some opinions on next steps.

I figure I have 3 choices, no particular order and open to additional options:
- Pull the steering housing and tube assembly
- Use an outside thread chaser and hope I can get retainer bolt back on
- Cut off the threaded section and weld on a bolt thread (this too would remove the housing etc. for welding)

Thought I'd post it out here and see if anyone had an opinion or alternate thoughts.

Thanks All!
Attachments
20220831_085830.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering Shaft

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am

Touch up the banged up area so you can put a nut on a couple of threads. The nut only holds the steering wheel in place.

Try that first before purchasing the steering shaft.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ridgefield
Kubota L185DT
Lo-Boy 185

Okay not tractors but
1971 F600
Case 440CT
John deere 26g

Postby Ridgefield » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:13 pm

Thanks Eugene, definitely thought about banging it back into shape. I don't have a die that size so was thinking of using the outside thread chaser to try to recut the threads.

Another thought occurred to me at lunch today, To your point the nut really doesn't do much. Why not just drill a hole though the threads and put a washer and cotter pin to keep it down.

Thoughts?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 pm

Steering wheel is a press fit. Some take a puller to remove. Others, you can use your kness to pop loose.

Grinder to remove the burr?

Something will work. I don't think there is a need to purchase another shaft. Besides that, you need to remove the entire steering sector to get to the shaft.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:37 pm

Do the damaged threads need to be there to hold the retainer nut, or are they exposed after a complete install? You may be able to get a die of the proper size that is made in 2 halves and fits into a special handle. You may be able to put it together on the good lower threads and clean up the threads starting on the bottom. If no die, get a new jam nut that fits the thread. I think it may be a 5/8 fine. Cut it in half through two opposite flats. Put it over the lower part of the threads and clamp the 2 halves together (not too tight). Vise Grips might work if they open far enough. Unscrew the pieced together nut over the damaged threads.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:45 pm

The top edge looks flared out. I think you'd need to insert a rod of the proper size, squeeze the flare against the rod and then try one of Jim's suggestions. This happened years ago with a 154 that was Raymond's. He removed the shaft, a friend welded it up and it was rethreaded. A lot of work back then...
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Ridgefield
Kubota L185DT
Lo-Boy 185

Okay not tractors but
1971 F600
Case 440CT
John deere 26g

Postby Ridgefield » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:58 pm

@Jim the damaged threads are exposed after the retainer nut is installed, so i could cut the damaged area off completely then attempt to rethread it.

@Bob its flared out pretty bad, I like the suggestion of sticking a rod down in there to get it back into shape.

Any thoughts on just boring a hold and using a washer/cotter pin to hold it on?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:23 pm

Ridgefield wrote:.Any thoughts on just boring a hold and using a washer/cotter pin to hold it on?

I think that would work fine, although the cosmetics may be great. You might be able to do that and find a cap to put over it (like a small axle cap off of a fertilizer spreader, etc.).
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:57 pm

The nut keeps the wheel tight in the splines. If the cotter pin doesn’t do the same, the resulting play may damage those splines. I’d find a way to make the nut work. I’d grind the shaft down until I could get a die to catch. Hardware stores have dies.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm not familiar with the 185, but had a similar problem with a Cub Cadet steering shaft. I cleaned up the mushroomed end with an angle grinder, taking some of the length off. Found an appropriate sized bolt to fit inside the shaft and threaded it. A washer or two, bolt and done. As others mentioned, just need to keep the steering wheel snug, so doesn't need much depth tapped inside. That would be my suggestion, assuming you have a tap and bolt and the shaft hole is accommodating.

Good luck,
David

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:37 am

David is thinking along the same line as me. Tap the inside of the shaft (drill if needed) and use a bolt, maybe a spacer, washers, etc. and toss the nut into the parts bin.

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Duner » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:44 am

I think this will work, it did work for me on my 154. I used a nut that fits the shaft. Grade 8 or so. I split it with die grinder and cut off wheel on one side and part way thru on the other so you can spread it apart a bit, Then I hack sawed a couple of cuts across the threads so it would work somewhat like a die. Spread it apart a bit to get it down over the threads . Use great big vice grips and clamp it to nut, Back it off and it might repair your threads. You might have to tidy up yours on one side on top as it is quite flared. If i remember correctly the threads on mine were not terribly hard.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”