This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help determining the year of a diesel swapped cub lo boy I just bought

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help determining the year of a diesel swapped cub lo boy I just bought

Postby Eugene » Mon May 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Advertisers at bottom this page for parts.
taywoo28 wrote:Clutch adjustment, how do y'all measure your tolerance that's prescribed in the manual? I saw one guy using a piece of paper as a tool but I figure there is something more accurate.
Feeler gauge.
My tractor had washers being used as a shine between the mount and the brake that stopped the friction plate.
Supposed to be a shim where the washers are located. You could make a shim, or buy one from HamiltonBob (best idea), or use the washers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

taywoo28
Zip Code: 21157

Postby taywoo28 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm

So I got the tractor in half now. I bolted the steering back up, but I'll have to weld it after I get everything going again.

It actually want to difficult to get the clutch out with the drive line that money has. It's u-joint a slip yoke and carrier bearing. So once I loosened the bearing bracket, and the throw out bearing bracket I was able to slip the shaft out of the rear pressure plate.

After getting everything off I found that the clutch has plenty of friction pads on the creeper side, but it had nothing on the motor side. So I know I'll need a clutch plate. What I don't know if I can do is get a shim or make a shim for the output shaft from the creeper to help get rid of some play in the rear pressure plate. I am hoping I can get a good without purchasing the whole plate.

The throw out seems okay, just needs a good greasing. The spring pressure plate also seems good.

Now, the creeper. I pulled what I think is a drain plug on the bottom, and a little spring came out. That's when I decided to go ahead and pull it off so I can check everything.

The trans looked good, the shifter was intact. The gears were moving freely and felt tight.

My only blunder in splitting was the hydraulic tube going to the bottom of the trans broke.

So, I know I need a clutch plate, the clutch brake nylon buttons, a shim for the creeper shaft, and the line they comes out of the bottom of the trans.

I added more pictures below to get a better view of some of the redneck engineering done on the tractor. As well as the trans and creeper. I'm going to do some reading on creeper rebuilds, but it felt like everything was doing what it was supposed to. So, what's the little spring for? What was the cheap fix for the cheaper that was mentioned previously?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VR8SfmSGrUdxsxHo9

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 pm

[quote="taywoo28"]The buttons/pucks slide inside the retainer bracket. I think all that is required is the correct shim(s) and proper adjustment.

Creeper. Spring retainer ball or it may have come off the shifting fork.
I have an excuse. CRS.

taywoo28
Zip Code: 21157

Postby taywoo28 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Just put in an order with Hamilton Bob's. I got the buttons, a friction plate, rear pressure plate bushing, creeper gasket, and trans gasket set.

I'm going to check fitment to see if I need to shim the retainer bracket. I realized when I looked at an exploded view of the creeper it is the spring and I'm willing to bet the retainer ball is in my drip pan. I heard something but I think it dropped perfectly through the hole into the fluid. That's going to be a fun one to fish out.

One more thing I thought of was the creeper looked like it was leaking from the shifter. I can't find anything showing a seal it o ring where the shaft enters the housing.

At least I'll have time to clean up the tractor while I wait for parts to arrive.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”