This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weak spark

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ford141
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16201
Tractors Owned: International 184

Weak spark

Postby ford141 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:20 pm

I’m trying to finish up my auction find 154 but I’m having trouble getting it to run. I am able to get it to fire occasionally but it won’t stay running and just misses and sputters when it does. I put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and points in it and adjusted the points to 0.020 gap, but still the spark is so weak I almost have to turn the lights off to see it. I have a strong 12v to the coil, but I suspect the coil might be bad. Is there a way to check it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Weak spark

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am

No good way to test the coil.

Coil wire about 1/4" from engine block. Ignition on, snap the ignition points open and closed while observing the spark. Weak spark, probably the coil.

Faulting condenser will also cause a weak spark. Significant spark across the points, condenser faulting.

Edit. The in tractor tests can indicate that the coil is functioning. If in doubt, test with a known good coil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ford141
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ford141 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Eugene wrote:No good way to test the coil.

Coil wire about 1/4" from engine block. Ignition on, snap the ignition points open and closed while observing the spark. Weak spark, probably the coil.

Faulting condenser will also cause a weak spark. Significant spark across the points, condenser faulting.

Edit. The in tractor tests can indicate that the coil is functioning. If in doubt, test with a known good coil.

That's what I suspected. I'll have to pull the coil off of my 184 and test it. I replaced the condenser along with the points so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Use the right coil with resistor!! -- either internal or external! IF you have an external one on it now, better check it!-- I had 2 of them shoot craps this past year. If yours is internal, in the coil, it probably is fried. New condenser dont mean good one either! sub good known parts on a trial basis to narrow down the problem. You may find the wires are part of the problem too. Might want to check them.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:00 pm

What’s the voltage and amperage at the coil?

I’m not sure about the cubs wiring systems but with coils and points there was a bypass wire bypassing the resistor with full 12 volts for starting. With the built in resistance in the coil we have a full 12 volts starting and less amperage running. Since she starts them dies the low side of the coil maybe kaput. Put a jumper wire from the battery to the + side of the coil to see if it stays running. The ign coils have a primary and secondary system.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:22 am

BigBill wrote:I’m not sure about the cubs wiring systems but with coils and points there was a bypass wire bypassing the resistor with full 12 volts for starting. With the built in resistance in the coil we have a full 12 volts starting and less amperage running.
Not on Farmall Cubs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 am

The coil for a numbered cub is a 3 ohm coil. Usually referred to as a "12 volt" or "internally resisted" coil. Measure across the two screw terminals and you should get approximately 3 ohms. If you measure approx 1.5 ohms you will need a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
Some cars and tractors use a 1.5 ohm coil with a ballast resistor and are wired so that the resistor is bypassed when cranking. On cars this was usually done with a 5 wire starting relay. I have a system where i add a lawn tractor starting relay and a 1.5 ohm coil and a ballast resistor and can install a "hot start" resistor bypass system on a 184 without needing to get to the wiring under the dash. The amp draw for a 3 ohm coil is approx 4 amps at 12 volts. With engine running and charging at around 14.5 volts approx 5 amps.

ford141
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ford141 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:29 am

So, I swapped the coil from my running 184 and immediately had a nice hot, bright spark! I had previously checked to make sure I had a good 12+ volts to the coil, and it had 12.7. I had already taken off all of the connections and cleaned them too. The coil was definitely the problem. I ordered a new one with internal resistor, should be here in a few days. Good news is the tractor fired right up after that and ran good. Motor seems solid, no smoke or bad noises. I had previously got it to fire briefly right after I got it home but it didn't run long enough to really evaluate the engine. Now I need to finish the carb rebuild (I cleaned it out but it still needs new gaskets) and tune it up. Compression checked out at 125-130psi on every cylinder, so I think it should run great after everything is set up good.

Larry B wrote:The coil for a numbered cub is a 3 ohm coil. Usually referred to as a "12 volt" or "internally resisted" coil. Measure across the two screw terminals and you should get approximately 3 ohms. If you measure approx 1.5 ohms you will need a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
Some cars and tractors use a 1.5 ohm coil with a ballast resistor and are wired so that the resistor is bypassed when cranking. On cars this was usually done with a 5 wire starting relay. I have a system where i add a lawn tractor starting relay and a 1.5 ohm coil and a ballast resistor and can install a "hot start" resistor bypass system on a 184 without needing to get to the wiring under the dash. The amp draw for a 3 ohm coil is approx 4 amps at 12 volts. With engine running and charging at around 14.5 volts approx 5 amps.

Great info here, thanks! I'm going to test the old coil just for the curiosity of it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:48 am

Good oil pressure?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ford141
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ford141 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 am

Don McCombs wrote:Good oil pressure?

I haven't put a gauge on it but the light goes out as soon as you start cranking the motor over, so there's enough pressure for that.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”