This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Regulator failure

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Regulator failure

Postby toehead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Just wanted to share a failure I had on my voltage regulator in case anybody had the same thing happen.

Symptoms: No charging at battery, generator checks out OK, voltage on the GEN terminal is higher than at battery and shows charging voltage.

What happened: There is a riveted solenoid contact that should be making contact with an opposing contact when the Cub is running. My rivet had failed and allowed this contact to move downward, such that the opposing contact was JUST not making contact when the solenoid closed. After I noticed this, I confirmed the contact could be moved by hand and that the rivet was loose.

Silver solder and a nice hot soldering iron fixed the contact back in the correct location.

picture after repair.

Once this was corrected charging resumed normally. I also took this opportunity to adjust the voltage output @ full throttle to the nominal charging voltage.
Attachments
IMG_20190908_112910511_updated.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

findmeoutside
Zip Code: 49009

Re: Regulator failure

Postby findmeoutside » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:01 am

Nice detective work, and thanks for the pic. I will be assessing my charging system tgis weekend :tractor:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”