This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Do I have to remove the choke cable?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BKERR
Zip Code: 44614

Do I have to remove the choke cable?

Postby BKERR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:31 am

Just started a couple of weeks ago diving into the Cub world. I have picked up a 185 ('79-80) that needs a engine rebuild and the following week got a 154, mid 60s. The 154 was not running and so far I see that the wiring is bad, the generator was bad as well. Parts arrived and I began to putts in my spare time, grass is still growing. I think I need to remove the choke cable, can anyone confirm?, The steering wheel is off and screws for the dash are removed.
Also the muffler is shot on the 154. I have a replacement but, do you think it wise to order a manifold. It is really pitted. The pipe end of the muffler is frozen in. I could (and likely will) take the gas tanks off and use my torch to whittle away the I.D. until it becomes free. I have soaked it down with PB for a couple of days, no movement so far

Really like the information on this board.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Do I have to remove the choke cable?

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 am

BKERR wrote:I think I need to remove the choke cable, can anyone confirm?, The steering wheel is off and screws for the dash are removed.
If the choke cable is frozen, not working, you can remove it from the tractor. For most other operations, not necessary.
BKERR wrote:Do you think it wise to order a manifold? It is really pitted.
I wouldn't. Pits won't hurt it's function.

There is a recent topic in the standard Cub forum on removing the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:25 am

Spray the choke cable with Pb blaster. Soak it good. Remove the cable from the carb, hold the end up and spray the Pb in the opening. If it’s a bare wound housing spray the whole housing.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BKERR

Postby BKERR » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am

Thank you gentlemen, I did get the dash out over the weekend. The wiring is a mess but I already ordered a new harness. Ordered some more parts and getting ready to set the dash back in this week, I hope. Power washed everything this weekend, so far no major oil leaks. Hope to get some fresh paint on it as well. Really like this board.
Regards

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:14 pm

I put in that pre made wire replacement harness and I have trouble with it, now I’ll rip it all out a make up one wire at a time. Cut, strip, solder,
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BKERR

Postby BKERR » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am

I had some issues as well with the wiring this weekend. Found out I ordered the wrong starter switch and light switch. The oil pressure switch I have takes an eyelet not a tab and nothing for the head lights yet. Hoping to sort out in the next couple of days. Looking forward to starting and see if it will be an engine rebuild as well. Thanks!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”