This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower blade sharpening tips

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PRev
Zip Code: 00000

Mower blade sharpening tips

Postby PRev » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 am

I had to buy new blades for my woods mower. I use it for mowing trails and some invasive removal (stems 2" diameter), and cutting up downed brush. The new blades do not have a sharpened edge - the cutting edge is about 1/8" thick. I've always used a sharpened edge. I haven't tried the new blades yet. One guy said the non-sharpened works for woody material. I don't want to have to change the blades for different tasks. But I that's recommended I will. I've run this tractor since 1971. I'd like your opinions on this.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mower blade sharpening tips

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am

I purchased new Woods blades this past winter. I did not sharpen them.

I mow what is essentially pasture. The unsharpened blades do a good job. If I were mowing lawn, I probably would sharpen the blades.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Unsharp blades will cut most anything. If you cut a lawn the unsharp blades will rip the grass blades and not cut them. This will cause the ends to turn whitish and the lawn will look grey/white for a few days after you mow. If you cut a lawn with sharp blades the grass will stay green. This is why lawn services put on sharp blades every day. I would sharpen them at a 45 degree angle.

PRev
Zip Code: 00000

Postby PRev » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Wow, fast replies and helpful. I plan to try on the new unsharpened blades and run it through some of the rougher trail and trail edge mowing. See what it does. If I need "pretty", I can put the other sharpened pair on. From the posts, I need to be exact about my model # and year. I still have the original manual: surely it in there or on the tractor somewhere.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”