This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Carburetor - Cub Lo Boy 185 -still won't start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Carburetor - Cub Lo Boy 185 -still won't start

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm

BigBill wrote:They used a point file years ago. The new points come coated and how do you get the coating off. It won’t run with the coating on them.

Rub each contact point on a piece of Kraft paper (grocery sack or cardboard) before you install them. Or you can hit them a bit with a point file.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Carburetor - Cub Lo Boy 185 -still won't start

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri May 24, 2019 5:50 am

sanderson34 wrote:Oh my. I'm not sure I can accomplish those 2 tasks. I am looking over the engine service manual and it looks like removing and checking the valves is a bit involved....not sure I'm smart enough to figure it out.

Not to leap ahead, you definitely should check out the other simpler items first. But a valve adjustment does not require removing the valves, just the valve cover. It is just the least bit tricky, so if you have never adjusted valves or are not a hobby mechanic, you may want to enlist some help. Perhaps there is a forum member close to you, or you could get the tractor to a Cubfest for some superb help and education.

On another point, I don't know your usage, but if you mow an acre or more regularly, 5 years may be beyond the serviceable life of your plugs. With enough usage, it would ne be unheard of for one of these tractors to receive a fuel tune-up yearly. Pull the plugs and check their condition; there are charts on the internet that will give a comparison to check your plugs against, and determine if there are any serious engine issues at play.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”