This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help needed with part identification

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patriot21
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05086

Help needed with part identification

Postby Patriot21 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Hello,

I have a Lo Boy 185 with a 60" international mower. Please bear with me as I am not very mechanically inclined, but am learning. While mowing today, the long belt that runs to the PTO from the top of the deck came off. I noticed that one of the two wheels in the back that the belt runs through came off. I picked it up and noticed that the spacers, I believe, were cracked/split. They look like thin washers. I do not know what the correct term is for the part inside of the wheel, (bearing?), but it will not stay inside of that wheel anymore. It seems to be too loose. I see that the wheel has an "IH" on it and "543". Does anyone know where to find that part and the insides of it, and if there is anything special I need to do to put the belt back in correctly? I'm sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to be as clear as possible and I don't know all the correct terms.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help needed with part identification

Postby tst » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

sounds like it is just a idler pulley that came apart, it was a sealed bearing unit, look at agrisupply.com sight for sealed pulleys, they are pretty cheap, just need to measure pulley size 4,5,6" etc, bolt hole size and flat or v belt type

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Welcome to the Forum. One more post and you can access/download the manuals from the Quick link tab/pdf Manuals at the top left corner of this page. There's several folders on tractors, attachments and other equipment. Look for the folder marked IH LoBoy Series, 154, 185, 184. There's some mower information in the 154 Owners Manual as well.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Patriot21
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05086

Postby Patriot21 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Thank you very much tst. I ordered two idler pulleys with the bearings after measuring inside/outside diameters and verifying v shape belt. I figured the remaining one will go soon. Do you know how to go about putting the belt back on? You don't just slide it over the pulley's, do you? Do you have to make sure the tension is correct? It is a brand new belt, I assume that it is ok to put it back on.

Thank you
Jake

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 pm

welcome to the forum Jake, yes it needs to be tensioned, I am not an expert on # series cubs but I am thinking those pulleys slide up and down in a slot?, that is how the tension is set, as Stan mentioned you can find a manual probably for he mower buy clicking on the quick links on top left of the page and pick manuals off the drop down
Tim

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:53 am

Fwiw, I have a 154 which is similar to the 185. Those rear pulleys were cast iron Vee belt type pulleys. They guided the long belt. The one at the right was more or less fixed (but could be adjusted) The left one (looking from the back ) has some serious coil spring tension. These are not regular idler pulleys. Going through that twist, the belt would flip off. Mine are original to the tractor and getting a little sloppy - heck the balls are showing so I oil them. Still, it is guidance to your particular deck. This all works well when the supports are in line during deck adjustments, when the belt contacts the driver pulley laterally over range of height. You can get creative with other flat lipped idlers later but you have to start with semi rigid structure to begin with.