This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Parts 154 "resurrection '--- has cracked head

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jbwhitaker
Zip Code: 29730

Re: Parts 154 "resurrection '--- has cracked head

Postby Jbwhitaker » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:45 pm

Knowing how.my.projects tend to "snowball" I mist ask this question....
I've read many posts re: upping the power output of the C60. Changing carb, shaving head, port matching manifolds, etc...... While I agree that "if u need more power u probably need more tractor"; I also think that having a little more umph wouldn't hurt.....
My question is this::: Does the torque increase exponentially with the HP???? Chasing a few HP for a negligible boost in the torque is a no-go for me.....
Just curious .....I've never seen the torque boost questioned or answered (unless I missed it somehow!!).
Thx!!
John

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 am

The torque only changes due to mass and a change in RPM. Since the mass is likely to stay the same (negligible differences in piston weight), the only change to torque is an increase in RPM.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Jbwhitaker

Postby Jbwhitaker » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:35 pm

Just an update..... I've decided to leave head alone for now (there is a method to the madness!!) and continue my trek rearward on the machine.
Got all new clutch, t/out brg, flywheel (broken), clutch brake assy (broken). Something felt weird Ion input shaft of Trans. So popped top of Trans and found it to b dry, as well as a broken 2-3;shift fork. Got foreman at work to weld fork for me. Gears don't look gr8, but jo.missing teeth, excess side/end play.
Going to try and g]et her built back up this weekend. For furthering ⁸uuuuuu assessment and b also to get it up into the shop,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:17 am

Jbwhitaker wrote:My question is this::: Does the torque increase exponentially with the HP???? Chasing a few HP for a negligible boost in the torque is a no-go for me.....
Just curious .....I've never seen the torque boost

https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15061

Down a bit in my link is a chart on the C60's HP to torque.

There are several dynameter tests on this site that confirm the information posted by Jim Becker in my link.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jbwhitaker

Postby Jbwhitaker » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:35 pm

Eugene THANK U!!!! That's what I was looking for!! What a little torque monster... If I end up having to rebuild, I know which direction I will take.. thx sir!!!

Jbwhitaker

Postby Jbwhitaker » Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:18 pm

Figured I'd contain this disaster in 1 thread... Had to take an extended break from Cub to handle other matters. It appears I need my vision checked, 2-3 slider is missing a tooth, and another gear (forget name) has 2 or 3 in a row round off. Like I said unit was dry.... So I'm gonna have to rebuild trans conplete..... Good thing I literally have no money in purchasing this thing!!! I figure by the time I'm done I'll have enough in it that I could have bought a pretty "nice" one. Although this way at least I know what I have. Going the other way I may have merely purchased a pig with lip stick!!! Anybody in the upstate SC area have a good Trans for a 154 for sale???? Probably my best out.... Of.course hydraulic pump.probably bad from being run dry. Oil level was not overfill when I got it. Don't see abnormal leaking from rear seal, so im.guessing the fluid went into the finals, as there's signs of leaking on both. This thing sat in a shed for years so who knows..........I guess I'm gonna have to wrestle it up into the shop to split it..... I'll update thread when I have further "good news" :shock:

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:03 am

You can do what several folks here have done, get you hands on a Cub Cadet transmission. You can use the entire gear set in your present case or with a few minor changes, swap in the complete trans. They seldom see the hard use that a Cub can sometimes be subjected to. On one of my tractors, I used the complete trans, I picked it up at a swap meet for $75. It was in beautiful condition inside.