184 won't start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 won't start

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Soak the valve stems through the valve springs as well under the valve head with solvent. Crank the engine over several times. Now take a thin sheet of metal, cut strip from soda can. Place between a tappet and the end of the valve stem. Hand crank the engine over, spray the valve stem, crank over again. This will raise the valve another .002" and possibly put more solvent in the valve guide.

Hold off a bit on removing the engine head. Removing the head and grinding the valves and seats is a bit more complicated than stated in you above post.

After getting the head off you will need a valve spring compressor to remove the valve spring keepers to get the valves out.

The paste and suction cup if for lapping the valve and seat together. That's a perhaps. You will probably need the valves and seats professionally ground. If you are going to do 4 valves, might as well do the other 4.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hipo giddyup
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 184 won't start

Postby Hipo giddyup » Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Sorry its been so long but I've been tied up with multiple projects.I followed the advice above using small strips of a soda can. I did this several times and let the valves soak a few days in between. I still got the same results with a compression test, around 30 psi. I decided to put air into cylinder one to see if it will exit into cylinder two , if I had a communication between the cyclinders, a bad head gasket. I didn't realize that cylinders 1 and 2 shared the same exhaust port as when I did this and plugged the exhaust port, air escaped out of cylinder two's plug hole. I realized this and placed a spark plug back in cylinder two. Tried this again with low pressure and the air is pushing out of the inatke and exhaust port for cylinder one. Sounds like the valves just aren't seating? I had all valves down for cylinder 1 and 2 when I did this, I could spin the tappets with my finger so the valves had no up force on them. Any other ideas or is it time to pull the head and look into the valves?
A firend was asking if a pin was sheared off of the cam or something that could have an effect on compression? That I do not know?

Thanks for any replies!
Bill