This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy with a 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21771
Tractors Owned: Wheel Horses
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

New guy with a 154

Postby Agage1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and cubs. I posted in the intro section but here's a little background. I went to looks at another tractor a couple of weeks ago and the guy had a really dusty but complete 154. I didn't know much about them but it was only 200 bucks and the kid delivered it too!. It's been 2 weeks and I can't get it started. I replaced cap rotor and points, then cleaned carb and fuel lines and nothing. I pulled the carb again, rebuilt it and then tripped over an air hose and dropped it cracking the casting. So here are my questions. First the tractor came with a ih carb, I found a zenith from a later model, I think a 184, will this fit? Second while I'm waiting for the new carb I did a compression check. I read 65 psi on all 4 cylinders, is this within tolerance? Third I primed the oil pump. The dipstick read full but I added a quart of oil to the filter housing before I started to see a little oil being pumped while I cranked the motor. My concern is it didn't seem like a lot of oil being pumped into the filter housing. How much oil should I expect to see when priming the pump? I like the tractor and still think I got a great deal but I'm in the process of some other projects and I'm not ready to sink a lot of money into this one just yet. Do the compression values or oil pump description draw any red flags or y'all think I'm ok? Thanks ahead of time for any advice
Tony

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: New guy with a 154

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:52 am

The 184 zenith carb will work, but you probably should also replace the intake manifold to the later style.

Compression is low, but should have enough compression to run. Put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and measure the compression again for a "wet test". The compression number will probably be higher with the oil.

Might want to check the procedure with priming the oil pump. The object is to fill the oil lines that go to the crankshaft bearings. Anything just dumped into the oil filter housing will just drain back into the oil pan. There is a hole inside the filter housing where the oil needs to be injected into. If the lines were empty, then it should take about half a quart.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43074
Tractors Owned: 1980 Cub Lo-Boy 184

Postby Greg Armstrong » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm not one of the resident experts (and they will correct me if I'm wrong), but here are a few things to check...
Do you have spark? If yes, check timing and fuel flow.
If no, check the passthrough insulator stud in the distributor that connects to the coil and make sure it is not grounded. Also check for a good solid ground connection.
Timing should be 0 degrees at #1 TDC. There is a 0 and notch on the front pulley that should line up with the pointer when #1 is TDC. Getting close should still start... just run bad. Once you get it running, timing should be 16 BTDC at wide open throttle.
If you have spark and timing is set right, it's probably a fuel flow issue. I believe the 184 carb should fit without issue. Check that fuel flows from the line - unhook line from carb and let fuel flow for a few minutes. It should be a steady flow. Check sediment bowl screen, it could need cleaned or replaced.
There are many knowledgeable people here to help you and I'll let those more inclined speak to the oil priming issue and compression results. Good Luck!

Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Postby Agage1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:56 am

I do have spark, and fuel, just waiting for new carb to come in mail so I can try it out. I did inject oil in the hole at the bottom of the filter housing. Just seemed like a lot before something came out when cranking and when it did come out it wasnt very much at all. I just don't want to burn this thing up when I get it running. Compression did seem low to me too. I'll try the wet test tonite. What compression readings should I look for with the wet test?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 am

Zenith carburetor. You may need two gaskets between the carburetor and manifold.

Compression is satisfactory to start and run the tractor. Suggest putting Sea Foam in the oil and fuel. Operate the tractor for a month or two. Then retake the compression checks.

As long as oil is being pumped into the oil filter housing - - - good to go.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 am

outdoors4evr wrote:. . . The object is to fill the oil lines that go to the crankshaft bearings. Anything just dumped into the oil filter housing will just drain back into the oil pan. There is a hole inside the filter housing where the oil needs to be injected into.

Agage1 wrote:. . . Just seemed like a lot before something came out when cranking and when it did come out it wasnt very much at all.

Just dumping oil in the housing should work (or at least help) if the retaining bolt is put back in before dumping in the oil. Draining back into the pan should be reduced substantially by the bolt. I've done this myself, but who knows if it actually did anything. Always had oil pressure after doing it, but probably would have if I hadn't done anything.

If any oil comes back out the passage into the filter housing when you crank it, you should be good to go.

Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Postby Agage1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Just got the zenith carb today and put it in. Still when I crank it and just getting real weak pops from muffler but haven't got it close to turning over. I'm still real. Ew to these tractors so please educate me. If compression is adequate to get it started, and I'm "fairly knowledgable" about carbs, I'm thinking maybe I got a timing issue. I pulled the distributor for a tune up a d static timed it as per the manual but maybe I missed so.ething? I put new carb in, ran a remote fuel tank to it but I'm only getting some weak pops from the muffler. I have fuel, i have good spark now but it's still nowhere close to turning over.

Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Greg Armstrong » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:27 pm

If you completely pulled the distributor as stated, perhaps it got put back in 180 degrees off? Check plug wires for proper orientation on distributor, rotor button positon, etc. With spark, fuel, and air it should fire as long as it sparks when and where it's supposed to.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:41 pm

A few suggestions. Double check that the1:00 terminal on the dist is connected to plug 1 and static timing is 0 degrees TDC on compression. Firing order is 1 3 4 2. Be sure wires are on cap in proper order for rotation. Point gap at .020. Spark should be able jump a 1/4" gap. Install new spark plugs.
The updraft carb on these engines is not the best starting when engine is cold. Spray some starting fluid into the carb and try to start it. At 65 psi compression and good ignition system and a shot of ether it should fire. Be sure to put new plugs in. Old plugs can look fine but misfire.

Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Postby Agage1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Well I finally got it to start. Turned out to be a timing issue after all. Still got to rebuild the new carb. Now time to go through it and work out all the other stuff that it may need, hopefully not much. Thanks guys for all your help and I'm sure I will have a ton more questions. I'm fixing to take it for my first ride tonite! I hope I make it back to the garage

Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Greg Armstrong » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Glad to hear it! It's obviously not 21 degrees at your place tonight if you are taking it for a ride. :tractor:

Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Postby Agage1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Alright guys someone tell me some good news. I finally got this thing to fire last night and ran it for a few minutes. It sounded real smooth and nothing out of the ordinary. Came home tonight looking forward to the first drive. When I turn the key the starter generator motor pulley spins but not the belt. Checked the belt and it felt good. Tried to turn motor by hand and I can't spin it. It couldn't of locked up overnight, tell me I'm missing something. I just paid 250 for a carb and bought new tires today.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:55 am

Is the tractor not in gear? There should be a clutch inhibit switch but some guys disconnect them from the circuit and you can try to start in gear with the clutch engaged. Same with the PTO. With the tractor in neutral put a socket on the front crankshaft pulley bolt and see if there is any small amount of movement in the crankshaft. If there ia absolutely no movement at all you may have a seized main bearing. If you get some back and forth play it could be a rod bearing or seized hydo pump or cam bearing or distributor. Have you checked the coolant to be sure it hasn't frozen?

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower

Postby seahaul » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:27 am

Try tightening the starter/generator belt more. Even though it may feel tight it has to be very tight or the belt will slip on the starter/gen pulley. I put a pry bar under the starter to get the belt tight. If the motor stops on a compression stroke, the starter has a hard time getting it to turn.

Agage1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub cadets
Power king
Cub lowboy 154
Ford n

Postby Agage1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Tried tightening starter generator, starting to drain fluids that was my next guess. Bearing was a thought dropping the pan tonite to have a look. Pulled the distributor too.clutch inhibit switch? I bypassed the clutch safety switch, but what is the inhibit switch? I dropped the the mower deck with the lever and it went down smooth can't raise it cause I can't start motor. Since it went down can I rule out hydraulic pump. I just drained oil and it came out pretty clear. This tractor has been sitting for a few years. But it ran one night and the next day it was locked up. It's gotten cold the last few days but not that cold. 20's at night and upper 30's during the day

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”