This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

3pt Backhoe attachment with stabilizers.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mokashan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48505

3pt Backhoe attachment with stabilizers.

Postby Mokashan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I see all the time people adding backhow attchments to cub cadets but I have yet to see a backhoe attachment for the Lo boys. Is there one specific for this tractor or is there one that could be safely modded to work well with this tractor?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 3pt Backhoe attachment with stabilizers.

Postby gitractorman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:11 am

Any Cat 1 backhoe will go on the tractor.

There is a bigger problem with the Lo Boy though. The hydraulic pump really isn't strong enough and doesn't really provide enough flow to run all the hydraulics on a back hoe. You would have to find one that runs on the PTO with a separate hydraulic pump and reservoir. Then you run into another problem, finding one that will work on the smaller PTO shaft, running the wrong direction, at engine speed instead of the standard 540 rpm. With all of those issues, nobody really makes a backhoe attachment that will work on a Cub. No, there was never a backhoe attachment built for the tractor by IH or their equipment suppliers either, probably for these same reasons.

Having said all of that, it's not impossible. Our own Rick Prentice built one for a Farmall Cub, which was a modified Woods 3-point backhoe, but Rick is something of a master fabricator, and it was quite a project even for him.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Postby Andrew Z » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Maybe run the pump off the front crank, or a double V belt that the PTO shaft would go to? Just thinking out loud here...

Andrew
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 am

I plan on running my pump from the PTO shaft after I speed it up to 3k rpm. Switching the pulley diameters.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 pm

[list=][/list]
BigBill wrote:I plan on running my pump from the PTO shaft after I speed it up to 3k rpm. Switching the pulley diameters.
The pump can be mounted in the front or rear using the pro shaft.
Now with this extra load on the S/G I plan on using a geared flywheel and starter. I'm thinking about the cold weather starting when both hydraulic oils are cold. I'm thinking power steering, the FEL and backhoe. The orginal hydraulic system will run the power steering.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Smokeycub » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am

BigBill wrote: I'm thinking about the cold weather starting when both hydraulic oils are cold. I'm thinking power steering, the FEL and backhoe.

One pump to run them both, plumbed to switch as needed?
BigBill wrote:I plan on running my pump from the PTO shaft after I speed it up to 3k rpm. Switching the pulley diameters.

That's what I would do. With the PTO disengaged there shouldn't be any unusual starting issues.

BigBill wrote:The orginal hydraulic system will run the power steering.

That's a nice idea. You must have a bunch of spare hydraulics for all that! :coffee:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:35 pm

The numbered series cub loboys have weak frames. They made a loder for them but was basically useless. I did have a 154 years ago that had a loader. the pump was belt driven off the PTO ( useless) I did do some modification to the hyd pump on the engine to get more GPM. Then connected the pump through a splitter valve to the loader. I finally was able to get the loader to work strong. I also had a 3 point on it as well. used a kubota 4 foot scraper box some. when I finally got 3/4 of a loade of dirt in the front bucket the spindles wouldnt support the load.(Broke a few) also when carrying a load on uneven ground the frame on the tractor would twist to the point where the fan was chopping the fan shroud.The trans also had the creeper gear. pushing dirt finally broke the frame where the transmission bolts to it.. Installing a backhoe on a numbered cub would require a sub frame. by the time you add the weight of the backhoe and the sub frame to support the hoe you will find that the tractor wont support it very long.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 am

My front end of the tractor frame is boxed with thin wall light C Channel. I have installed all the necessary pieces of steel for added structural steel. The front subframe is perfect. Next I need to fabricate and connect
the rear subframe to the front. I want a removable backhoe with a replacement rear counterweight. The front spindles need to be addressed too. Heavier load capacity front spindles are needed with ball bearing thrust bearings on the brackets that hold the spindles for turning. A double ended hydraulic cylinder is used for power steering. A cam operated control valve on the steering box will operate the power steering.

Right now my plan is to run the fel and backhoe from the same hydraulic system. You run the pressure through the backhoe control valves(open centers) to the front loader control valves. Making sure the hydraulic oil tank has the correct amount of oil for cooling(gallons vs gpm).

The tranny and creeper should work out ok. The bucket is good enough.

It's a fun project. The size is perfect plus when it sits idle I'm not making payments on it. The tractor is mainly used to get the backhoe were we need it.

Go to the "machine builders" site and look at what some are building. These guys think out of the box.

These tractors aren't useless I borrowed a cadet 147 with the bucket loader and did some serious work with it.
It took a tad longer because of its smaller size by when we get the rythm down with the bucket it goes quick.

I'm not sure if my photos are here or on yesterday's tractors of my front subframe on the 154.

This is being done because I been told I can't do it.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”