This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer Food Plot

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Deer Food Plot

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:57 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61263&hilit=stuck+troubled

Above link of initial plowing for deer food plot. Over the past 6 years, have expanded the food plot to the cedar tree in the center of the first photo and to the left. About 1 acre total. Then installed a permanent deer stand.

About 2 years ago a neighbor build a house and large shop next to the property line. That would be just to the left of the first photo and with in rifle shot of the deer stand.

This spring, plan is to let everything left of the cedar tree in the center of the first photo return to pasture grass. Herbicide, burn down, about 3/4 of an acre to the right of the photo, disk harrow, sow, peg tooth harrow. Won't plow because the planned ground is very rocky.

The ground in the first photo contains a lot of rocks. Several were good sized boulders. Put steel fence posts adjacent to the boulders so we wouldn't hit them again with implements. Took several years to dig/roll them out, using skid steer to move off into the timber.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Deer Food Plot

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am

What do you plant for the deer? I been planting soybeans but may try something else this year.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am

I will never in a million years understand why anyone feels the need to feed the deer......but good reason for putting hours on the Cub I guess.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

Shane Nelson wrote:What do you plant for the deer? I been planting soybeans but may try something else this year.
Most of the sown seed is forage radish. They bore holes in the clay soil, provide good ground cover, deer and cattle like them.

Past couple of years been sowing a mixture of forage radish, turnips, and a seed mixture of 4 or 5 types of rape seed.

Forage radish and turnip seed is inexpensive. I can purchase a couple pounds at the local farm and ranch store. Where as, other seed is only available in 20 or 50 lb bags.
Super A wrote:I will never in a million years understand why anyone feels the need to feed the deer......but good reason for putting hours on the Cub I guess.
Almost no row crops in this area to attract deer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am

Super A wrote:I will never in a million years understand why anyone feels the need to feed the deer......but good reason for putting hours on the Cub I guess.

Al

Feed the deer, feed the family with deer meat that is fattened up by eating whatever you feed them. It’s kinda like feeding cows but a lot cheaper and the FDA isn't involved.
Last edited by Slim140 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am

Eugene wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:What do you plant for the deer? I been planting soybeans but may try something else this year.
Most of the sown seed is forage radish. They bore holes in the clay soil, provide good ground cover, deer and cattle like them.

Past couple of years been sowing a mixture of forage radish, turnips, and a seed mixture of 4 or 5 types of rape seed.

Forage radish and turnip seed is inexpensive. I can purchase a couple pounds at the local farm and ranch store. Where as, other seed is only available in 20 or 50 lb bags.
Almost no row crops in this area to attract deer.

Thanks for sharing. What exactly is rape seed? I’ve seen it for sale but have no idea what it is.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am

Shane Nelson wrote:... What exactly is rape seed? ...

Shane,

Here you go: https://www.agmrc.org/commodities-products/grains-oilseeds/rapeseed/

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am

Bill Hudson wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:... What exactly is rape seed? ...

Shane,

Here you go: https://www.agmrc.org/commodities-products/grains-oilseeds/rapeseed/

Bill

Thank you Bill, may give it a try and see how it does. I plowed about 1.2 acres in a new area a few weeks ago for a deer plot next year.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:Feed the deer, feed the family with deer meat that is fattened up by eating whatever you feed them. It’s kinda like feeding cows but a lot cheaper and the FDA isn't involved.
The farm owner gets free large game tags in Missouri. For Missouri residents, large game tags are very inexpensive.

Recreation with some where over 200K deer harvested every year in Missouri. Deer hunting is used to control disease and population.

Some farmers rent or lease out their property for deer hunting. Actually, that's quite profitable. One year my brother and his friend hunted the property for 3 days. Week or two after the hunt, some where around $200- worth of gifts arrived in the mail.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 pm

We plant deer food plots not to feed them, but to bait them.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:

Al

Feed the deer, feed the family with deer meat that is fattened up by eating whatever you feed them. It’s kinda like feeding cows but a lot cheaper and the FDA isn't involved.

Around here the #@$*#$ things need no help finding something to eat, usually its a crop somebody's trying to make a living on.

Honestly if I could choose one species for total extinction, it would be the white tailed deer.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Super A wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:

Al

Around here the #@$*#$ things need no help finding something to eat, usually its a crop somebody's trying to make a living on.

Honestly if I could choose one species for total extinction, it would be the white tailed deer.

Al

Wild pigs eat/destroy more than whitetail deer, I would say without looking it up. Wild pigs breed more times per year and have way more than 2 like most whitetail deer. I know deer cause more traffic accidents probably.

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:
Super A wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:Feed the deer, feed the family with deer meat that is fattened up by eating whatever you feed them. It’s kinda like feeding cows but a lot cheaper and the FDA isn't involved.

Al

Wild pigs eat/destroy more than whitetail deer, I would say without looking it up. Wild pigs breed more times per year and have way more than 2 like most whitetail deer. I know deer cause more traffic accidents probably.

Pigs are getting bad, which is a whole 'nother deal, but deer have been over-populated in my area for years. If there are enough of them they will start at one end of a soybean field and mow it to the other. We had several farms that were total losses for several years back in the 80s. And in NC they have always been over-protected, we have several folks that aggressively hunt our farm (for meat instead of antlers) and have gotten them somewhat under control and now I understand NCWRC is trying to shorten the season and bag limits. That is fine with me, if they triple the license fees and come to the landowners with their checkbook every year. I wish the state would show as much concern for landowners and the general public as they do the hunters!

Al

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Super A wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:
Super A wrote:

Al

Pigs are getting bad, which is a whole 'nother deal, but deer have been over-populated in my area for years. If there are enough of them they will start at one end of a soybean field and mow it to the other. We had several farms that were total losses for several years back in the 80s. And in NC they have always been over-protected, we have several folks that aggressively hunt our farm (for meat instead of antlers) and have gotten them somewhat under control and now I understand NCWRC is trying to shorten the season and bag limits. That is fine with me, if they triple the license fees and come to the landowners with their checkbook every year. I wish the state would show as much concern for landowners and the general public as they do the hunters!

Al

I live in NC as well, I remember back in the early 90's and before that the season had 2 doe days per year, yes 2 days. Now it's the whole season and where we live you can only kill 2 bucks and 4 does with your tags or you can kill 6 does and get more doe tags. Are the deer getting more populated or are people pushing them from their habitat by building more developments? Where I live I would say more people but the deer have gotten more plentiful as well.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Hunting has become an economic enterprise. In most states, game species are managed with that factor in mind. Fortunately, in my part of MD, DNR is not stingy with deer damage permits.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”