This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Glyphosate Problem

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Glyphosate Problem

Postby BIGHOSS » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:26 am

Anyone else having problem with Glyphosate (Roundup) clogging the filter screen on a tank sprayer? I have always had a problem with this herbicide working right in my sprayer, but each year it seems to get worse.
I try not to keep any of the herbicide left over from year to year. I always buy a fresh jug each year, as I did this year. My sprayer which is a 12 volt 15 gallon, has a fine mesh screen on the end of the pickup tube down in the tank. This screen clogs easily with a stringy substance which looks like wet clothes dryer lint. I keep a spare filter and toothbrush in the cub tool box to keep it spraying.

I strain the solution using a large fuel funnel with filter and cheesecloth. This works, but is a pain to have to do this.

I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks
Ron
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Glyphosate Problem

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 am

You might want to use a fabric other than cheese cloth.

I have the same basic set up. Same fill/mix procedure. I'm using some type of synthetic material to filter the creek water used to fill the sprayer tank.

Been doing this for 15 years, No sprayer filter clogging problems.

Haven't had a problem with left over generic glyphosate going bad. Use left over the following year.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:10 am

I simply fill the sprayer with water dump in the roundup, sometimes the real stuff sometimes an off brand, open the bypass valve, mix for a few minutes and spray. Never had a problem even when using held over roundup. Also spray 2-4D and until this year Diuron (requires an applicators license now) same way. Using a 15 gal tow behind and the Cadet. Interesting. Now watch, I've opened my big mouth and probably will plug up next spring. :D Vern

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:50 am

I use TSC's generic glyphosate, but not in that type system. I use it in hand-held and backpack sprayers. Never had a problem. Is it possible that there is something in the water that is reacting with the chemical or a residue from a different chemical?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 am

I use it on a regular basis, though only occasionally in a large sprayer, usually just in a little 2 gallon sprayer. I do not filter mine through anything and the nozzles on it are pretty small, and the only time I have ever had a plugging problem was when I failed to wash the sprayer out good in the fall, and setting during the winter some of it precipitated out. If you are having plugging problems with a clean sprayer I suggest buying a different brand concentrate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I have used my 12-v unit for every chem known to mankind and never had any problems with it!----Round-up is usually the easiest to mix/spray just as 2-4-D,--in fact I tank mix the two. thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I use TSC's generic glyphosate, but not in that type system. I use it in hand-held and backpack sprayers. Never had a problem. Is it possible that there is something in the water that is reacting with the chemical or a residue from a different chemical?

My guess would be something in the water. They make stuff you can put in to make chemicals mix properly. Roundup should mix with no problem.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 am

If you are using farm well water, have the water tested if it's being utilized for livestock or human consumption. Local Univ Extension Office or Dept of Natural Resources should be able to tell you where to get the test kits and where to send the samples.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:56 am

Actually, I am using city water and don't buy solution from same place each year. This gallon came from Farmers Co-op. Guess I will continue to carefully strain each tank.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 am

Might try flushing the tank and system with water and a little dishwashing detergent before mixing the next batch.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 am

BIGHOSS wrote:Actually, I am using city water and don't buy solution from same place each year. This gallon came from Farmers Co-op. Guess I will continue to carefully strain each tank.

That could still potentially cause mixing issues.

I'd talk to local cooperative extension and see what they recommend. We used to use a product called, aptly enough, "Mix" that you added to nitrogen solution before adding herbicide. If you didn't use it, best case it took heavy agitation to make it mix and keep it mixed. Worst case, you had 300 gallons of cheese curds.

I've never, ever seen roundup/glyphosate that didn't mix readily in water. It just about has to be a water chemistry issue.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am

Cheesecloth is made from cotton fibers. Could be the type/quality of cheesecloth you are using. Try using a washed synthetic fabric as the filter. See what happens.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 am

It sounds like a buildup of chemicals that have dried onto the screen. After using chemicals, I run this through my sprayer to neutralize the chemicals.
https://www.ruralking.com/32oz-jar-of-d ... oClP3w_wcB
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Worst case, you had 300 gallons of cheese curds.

That is a very good description of what clogs my pick-up screen. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:19 am

BIGHOSS wrote:
Worst case, you had 300 gallons of cheese curds.

That is a very good description of what clogs my pick-up screen. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Yep. All the filters in the world won't help. You've got to get something in there to make the chemical mix. It might be your water, or maybe your herbicide, probably a little of both. I'd be interested to see what some genuine Roundup would do.

Al

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”