This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

2018 garden

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

2018 garden

Postby Eugene » Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Yup. Thinking about my 2018 garden at son's house. The garden plot is on a north faced slope and shaded most of the day by a large oak tree. Game plan is to cut down the tree this fall/winter and turn into fire wood.

Previously had pretty fair luck with melons, strawberries, new potatoes, string beans, on the garden plot. Other vegetables, not so good. To much clay in the soil and not enough sun light.

Think I will start burying kitchen vegetable scraps in son's garden, then green manure this fall. Been doing this for 17 or 18 years behind house in Linn, Mo. Helps greatly, but doesn't eliminate the clay problem.

Currently feeling better and getting around better than I have in several years. So ,the long range plan to keep me active and out of politics.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: 2018 garden

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 am

I'd put some green manure crop in, now. I use Sorghum/Sudan grass hybrid. Grows 6 or more feet high. Adds a lot of organic matter, that loosens up the clay. I have a part of the garden that has winter rye now, then will have crimson clover, followed by Sorghum/Sudan, followed buy winter rye, before garden crops go in, next spring. Horse manure/bedding, spread between each cover crop. My soil was fairy heavy clay, but this treatment has worked wonders, for it.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: 2018 garden

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Yesterday sowed forage radish.

Yes, I know it's a fall cover crop. But it germinates in 2 or 3 days. Will let it grow until mid August, then cut down, till under, sow another radish crop.

Ground in garden plot is hard as a rock. Hoping the radish will open up some holes, provide humus, help soften the clay.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”