This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brining, curing, smoking meat

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Brining, curing, smoking meat

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 am

Been brining and smoking meat for years. Recently, year or so, been adding home meat cure to the brine. Currently using "Morton Tender Cure".

Last batch brined, cured, and smoked was 12/14 lb. pork loin for Canadian bacon, 8 lb. turkey breast for turkey ham, and 1 lb. marinated smoked shrimp.

Must have been really good. Wife was eating the sliced meat as fast as I could run it through the meat slicer. Son came over and asked for the smoked shrimp recipe. Then daughter called and said that some of her co-workers asked if I would sell some meat.

It takes 8 or 10 days to brine and cure meat. My biggest problem is the lack of refrigerator space for brining and curing. The smoker can hold 40 or more lbs. of meat, refrigerator about 20 lbs.

No recipes provided with this post. Internet search for recipes and instructions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Re: Brining, curing, smoking meat

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 am

Sounds like it's time for another frig :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:Sounds like it's time for another frig :D
Actually had that thought. But smart wife. She purchased some square tubs that better fit the refrigerator.

Thing is that it doesn't take any longer to brine, cure, and smoke one 5 lb. chicken fryer or 40 lbs. of assorted meat.

I buy meat for smoking when it's on sale. Then I only fire up the smoker once in every 2 or 3 months. 12/14lbs. of Canadian bacon is a lot of bacon.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Wish I had you for my neighbour Eugene :worthy: :worthy:
Bernard
Donegal Cub

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:Wish I had you for my neighbour Eugene
:thumbsup:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Home brining, curing, smoking is considerably less expensive than purchasing processed meat at the grocery store. Wife purchases, snacks on, processed turkey breast for between $2.50 and $3.00 for a 9 ounce package. Other than meat, my biggest expense is the couple pounds of propane utilized during the smoking process.

Smoking meat day can take up to 8 hours, just depends on how long it takes to get the meat up to safe cooking temperature. While waiting for the large pieces of meat to reach a safe temperature, I put chicken liver, shrimp, onions, potatoes in the smoker.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:49 am

What do you run for a smoker? I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain, very happy with it but I don't use it too frequently.
If it don't go, chrome it.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 am

What time is breakfast? :D Your post took me back to when I used to smoke salmon. I din't like it and smoking it was one way to make it edible. Soon others where I worked wanted me to smoke some which I did . I soon was busy during salmon season smoking fish. I applied a "shrinkage" charge of one third of the fish and was still busy. This would have been in the late 60's and early 70"s. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:06 am

Bbhzx12 wrote:What do you run for a smoker? I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain, very happy with it but I don't use it too frequently.
What I use is a Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-30-Propane-Smoker sold by Bass Pro Shop.

Like wise my smoker's use is infrequent. That's because it doesn't cost (propane) any more to smoke 30 or so pounds of meat at one time than a pound or two.

Currently waiting for whole turkey to come on sale, Thanksgiving. Will probably pick up two or three whole turkeys and prepare for smoking. Also have a Walmart shopping list for shrimp and chicken liver.

Neighbor who runs cattle on the acreage raises turkeys. Prior to the flock sale, neighbor has to submit 5 turkeys for testing. The dressed, tested turkeys are returned to the neighbor. I should ask the neighbor for some of the dressed, tested turkeys.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Great idea!
Turkeys been on my list too, I've done chickens but not a turkey.
If it don't go, chrome it.

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Postby 1541 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:21 am

Of all the meats we have smoked, Turkey is my favorite. I have also tired various brine's and have found that the simpler the better.
Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”