resurretion of a 1916 milking machine

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

resurretion of a 1916 milking machine

Postby brewzalot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:00 pm

My father is 87 years old, a retired dairy farmer still living on the farm and has acquired quite a collection of old milking machines and equipment over the years. My cousin and I are on a mission to get one of his oldest milking machine working the exact way it did when my dads grandfather used it in 1916. This system used a hit n miss engine for power, various configurations of pulleys or in this case a gearbox to get the correct speed to drive a square wooden rod that ran over the top of the cows attached to the stanchions. The rod goes back and forth and has fittings between every other cow where a cylinder attaches that makes the suction needed to milk the cows. You can see dad put it on the rod in the test video we made today. One end (the piston) is attached to the moving rod the other(the cylinder housing) goes over a stationary pin on the bracket holding it all in place. This cylinder provided the on/off suction needed before they made milking machines with pulsators. We are amazed how well everything has worked so far and will be assembling everything in dads old barn. The plan is to borrow a cow from a neighbor, use my cousins hit n miss, and actually get this thing working so we can actually milk a cow. The only thing we had to purchase was new hoses for the milker and some rubber washers used similar to modern inflations for the teat cups. If we can put it all together hopefully there will be a video soon with milk actually flowing!

Will post again when(if) that happens, hopefully there are some old timers out there that are interested. Its a long shot, but if anyone has any info on this system or remembers their father or grandfather using it I would love to hear from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPk9lO36n4o

Tim
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added embedded video with [youtube][/youtube] BB Code

v w
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Re: resurretion of a 1916 milking machine

Postby v w » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:41 am

Interesting. I can't go back that far! I do however remember dad's old Surge equipment, I still have a few pieces somewhere in the barn. DeLavel was probably more popular around here at the time - about 1950. Keep us posted. Vern

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm

I don't go back that far, either, but the only milkers we had when I was growing up were attached to the end of our arms! :lol: :lol:

Ike

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Ike wrote:the only milkers we had when I was growing up were attached to the end of our arms!

And they did a great job of milking and didn't break down- at least not till you got older that is...

bibbster
Zip Code: 38355

Postby bibbster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Not exactly what you are looking for but it may give you some folks to talk to. This setup is also powered by a hit-n-miss engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4AfBVWD7k

And also this one has some info on the engine that may have been used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ9Epd5gV-s

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Very nice, thanks for providing those links Bibbster

We could really use that cow!

Tim

bibbster

Postby bibbster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:52 am

You're welcome, Tim. I like to do research (thrill of the hunt kind of thing) so if I find anything else I'll let you know.

That cow they made was pretty slick. I'm sure you could make one similar for demonstration purposes. Maybe something simpler like an A-frame design (like sawhorses but with two cow cutouts attached to each side), which would leave you enough room for a container of 'milk' to be pumped/recirculated.

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Well we didn't milk a cow but came as close as we could. This milker did not last long because it was known to ruin a herd by the design of the sucking action. We decided not to risk it on a real cow. Hope you enjoy the video, it was fun getting something that old working the way it did back in its day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECZQixk ... video_user

Tim

bibbster

Postby bibbster » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am

Tim,

That's GREAT! It was neat to see the milker in action and I'm sure your aunt and uncle were thrilled to see it working after all of these years. Thanks for sharing!

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks Bibbster, actually that's my cousin doing the talking and those are his aunt and uncle, and my parents. My great grandfather would have been the one to use this set up on my parents farm, which is the same barn you see in the video. What I think is amazing is 3 and now 4 generations of farmers hung on to it all these years.

The Wisconsin Historical Society is debating on putting it in their collection, depending on if they have room for it.

Tim

v w
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:01 am

Well done! You not only have preserved a bit of history but the story surrounding the milker. This is just as important in the future as the equipment. I hope the Historical Society can find the room. If not try a local museum. It certainly needs to be preserved. Vern :hattip: